suggestions on kick

- ask away
mr-mag
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

suggestions on kick

Post by mr-mag »

im working on a track lately, happy with the results im getting but want to get the kick sounds clearer.
im working on ableton, and using drumazon for the kick.
any suggestions would be nice, thanks.

cheers,

https://soundcloud.com/mr-mag/mr-mag-casey
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: suggestions on kick

Post by lem »

I can't listen to your tune because I'm on my phone, but generally to make a kick sound cleaner I use a fairly aggressive notch EQ to filter out the 'dirty' frequencies.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

I had a quick listen and to me the kick sounds quite muddy and boomy. I'm not familiar with Drumazon but if you want it "cleaner" I'd perhaps try to add more high frequency content to give it some "click" and EQ out some of the low-mids (250-500Hz range) to tighten it up.
mr-mag
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mr-mag »

thnx for both replys, will work on it later when i get home.
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

Use distortion!!!
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

try reducing the kick 3db to start before eqing heavily.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

everyone has a different approach to their own style or way of doing things..

sometimes you just have the wrong kick. no matter how much eq something you can spend hours trying and it's just the wrong kick and/or starting point to begin with. I tend to enjoy several layers of 4 x 4 kicks. always having different depths and frequencies to play with... being able to add and subtract several times listening to the track to really get a feel for the main one I'm looking for or the combination of several together.

perhaps multi layering things, multiple kicks, or even putting 4 on 4 high hats or high pitched snares behind or underneath it give you that deep kick but crispy sound you seek. the sound your looking for is your own interpretation.. deeper, punchier, clearer can mean different things to different people..

are you referring the kick drum not sound clean in the mix? perhaps you need to side chain your kick and baseline so it can breathe together vs one covering up the other.