oscilloscope

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: oscilloscope

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
I gave up on this because when you change a note, it all goes to pot. In other words, if I'm aware of any harmonics in a given sound, once I change to a different note, a whole new set of harmonics come into play. Too much to be aware of
for me its more to do with the harmonics in an individual sound (timbre), they have the same relationship when you transpose them. also i use very few notes in my music, usually between 2 and 5 max. techno and house generally dont have lots of notes, we arent really prog rockers.

plus the kick, snare etc.. will usually have a fundamental thats dominant and doesnt change, and most importantly the root note of the track.
If you understand the harmonics of your root, you can predict what is going to happen during transpositions. for example, look at the harmonics of the bass playing the root, and say youv'e got a prominent synth chord, look at the harmonics of the tonic, there will undoubtably be many points in your tune where these are playing together, throw in the kick drum and you've got a soup of harmonics especially in the lower registers, and its in the low registers where harmonics are important to clarity and tightness. its the first 3 or 4 harmonics which are important here, any dissonance in the bass part of the spectrum can sound really bad.

i think at first i can seem like a ball-ache, i only investigated it originally out of curiosity, now its the first thing i look at when i'm putting a tune together, it just comes natural to me now.