Analog Four

- ask away
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Analog Four

Post by jackbrazzo »

Thinking about treating myself to one of these babies.

As far as artists go playing Live (sometimes with an octatrack) what is the preferred method of playing in a club. Reason why I ask is when I am ready to play out with it, I'd rather plug into one (or two) of the RCA's on a Zone or Pioneer main club mixer rather than getting another mixer involved?

Cheers
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Analog Four

Post by Rein »

defo use your own mixer... you have more / better control then, also you can use some external fx. you don't want to deal with plugging in cables at awkward places when the stroboscope is blasting. ideal you pack everything connected in your flightcase, move it out to the dj booth and of you go.

the way i did it sometimes, is plug everything into my mixer, than connect that to my laptop, and use the laptop for limiting / some compression. i know there should be a limiter in the club but i prefer to have control myself.

nowadays i just use a firewire interface, plug all my stuff in so i can use some processing per sound (example kick and bass compression), in my DAW. also i can use as many fx as i like on the individual tracks. easier, less hassle to connect and better sound (for me). i prefer don't bringing my studio compressors / reverbs / delay to a club.

sure you can just do everything hardware but it's nice to have a bit more handy setup.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

Thanks for the reply.

I dunno I thought I could use the filters on the A and H/Pioneer and control the levels on the mixer itself.

In reality this is a fun project and I will be playing a parties and the like so i thought that A4/ (already have tempest) together would be good.

I use Traktor for Straight up DJing but I'd rather have a hardware only LIVE set, but I am not averse to using my Mac i suppose.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

WOW this machine is something else. Cant wait to delve deeper into it as time allows! (*)
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

Yep I love my a4 for BoC style pads, nice wobble bass and crazy glitchy analog percussion works beautifully along with my Tempest for more straight up analog beats.
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Got one too, and really love it as well.

As with all Elektron boxes, it doesn't sound so amazing straight off the bat (compared to a SH-101 or a MonoLancet). But as soon as you start tweaking all the parameters, you get some amazing sounds. Plus, they really nailed the sequencer right in my opinion. Really made me think again about building a live set based on hardware gear only.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i'm really happy to see many of you guys planning on playing live with hardware these days, you're going to have so much fun.
i dont agree with the idea of putting your shiny new analogue toys back into your A/D D/A convertors > computer for compression/ limiting though, thats how to kill the life out of your analogue machines. focus on your mixing technique, so there's no need for compression or limiting and let your machines breath.
if you absolutely cant live without compression its no big deal to take a small dynamic processor in a small case with a delay and reverb for instant hands on control (certainly no bigger than a control surface / laptop to carry around.)
If you're going hardware, theres no real need to bother with a computer at all.

and i'd definitely agree, take your own mixer ! you just dont know what sh!t you're going to get at a club. have a short sound check and leave everything set-up to go, or you're asking for problems in a dark DJ Booth trying to set-up

just my thoughts
Randomseed
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Randomseed »

Preach on brother.
I love by the motto if you feel the need to compress you screwed up during sound design.
steevio wrote: focus on your mixing technique, so there's no need for compression or limiting and let your machines breath.