reel to reel

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

reel to reel

Post by oblioblioblio »

If you've got a bit of money to play with and are happier in the analogue realm, I've noticed that the market for reel to reel recorders is worth investigation.

Studer and Revox is the most worthy of attention, with careful manufacture and attention to serviceability. The Studers in particular are completely modular with every single part swappable out. These machines are designed to be used daily and still work down the line. Parts are no longer being manufactured but are easily available on all models, some more so than others. The Revox line are the cheaper consumer versions, and apparently very good sounding machines. The designs didn't look anywhere near as future proof as the Studer's, but still good and with high availability of parts. I actually found that the second hand prices for Studer's are actually the same as for the better Revox models so I would suggest holding out for a good Studer.

Otari are available cheaply, and are apparently copies of Studers, and are still being made today, but spare parts are almost non existant.

Lots of other cheap reel to reels but I don't think they're worth investigation.

I've heard to avoid ex-BBC machines, with a service tech saying that he hates dealing with them as they're always treated really badly. The machine I picked up was ex-MOD, so even though it was probably used for taping confessions from torture victims or tapping Russian phone lines under orders from collective Western paranoia, the person who operated it treated it really well.

Most of the Studers models that are around are very good. I chose the model I picked up based on some research about the quality of the transport, the amount produced and popularity of the machine (and as such the future parts availability and price... with some of the more renowned units likely to be more expensive to service, eg the A80 and A820). I got an A810 and it's fucking beautiful. Paid £700 and in very good condition, being given a full service very recently. Some people are taking the piss with what they're asking for (like 3-5 times that) so make you wait it out and find the right one. If it hasn't been serviced you'll need to factor this into your cost.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: reel to reel

Post by kdgh »

proud owner of a revox b77 and i'm god damn happy with it.
studer is for now a bit out of financial league... so maybe next time!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:. The machine I picked up was ex-MOD, so even though it was probably used for taping confessions from torture victims or tapping Russian phone lines under orders from collective Western paranoia, the person who operated it treated it really well.
haha quality mate
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

if you're looking at a Studer, models with VU meters seem to add around £200 to the price, but apparently they aren't very accurate. Plus they're likely to fail and the meters are obsolete. I've also heard that tape is very forgiving when it comes to levels. So better to use some form of level metering that isn't quite so expensive!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote: haha quality mate
technology is better when it has history :)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

oblioblioblio wrote:
steevio wrote: haha quality mate
technology is better when it has history :)
It might have traveled the world recording all sorts of intelligences stuff. do you know when it was made?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

the chassis is actually a little beaten up as though it's been moved around and not just in one office, but the service tech who worked on it said the tape mechanics were in very good condition.

Not sure of the exact date but this model was released in 1982. My first guess is cold war.

The tape cutting block has been quite heavily used, which implies that it's been used for little snippets of conversations rather than for long periods of recording. Or maybe doing long recordings and cutting out the relevant parts.

Can see why digital is a great media for surveillance... mostly it just does itself... Google record literally everything that goes onto the internet, including anything in a gmail account (really should switch), and the MOD plus hard drives is pretty terrifying. I'm all paranoid now myself!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
The tape cutting block has been quite heavily used, which implies that it's been used for little snippets of conversations rather than for long periods of recording. Or maybe doing long recordings and cutting out the relevant parts.
haha sounds like you'd make a good surveillance officer yourself bro