reel to reel

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: reel to reel

Post by oblioblioblio »

I needed to remove the battery from the MPU (main processing unit) on my A810 which had corroded heavily, and I needed to replace some components and try to remove the corrosion from the PCB.

Anyone in a similar situation... fiberglass brush! Very handy.

Fired the unit up again yesterday for the first time after taking the whole thing to bits and no explosions and everything is as it should be. The thing that brought the unit down was what I thought it was. Although I am now getting an error message and think something on the MPU board is not right... have a couple of avenues to check with that but all the primary functions are working.

I found some high speed bearing grease for some of the bearings (not the capstan which requires very specific oil)... however the grease is a bit too good and I need to do some adjustments as the auto stop on rewind doesn't happen quick enough now as some of the greased guides don't have enough friction.

Some of the most knowledgeable peeps in the world regarding Studer units are here http://bach.pgm.com/mailman/listinfo/studer

bit prickly sometimes and at least one of them doesn't actually know what he's talking about... was hassling me for not spending $10,000 on the right equipment when actually all I needed was the £3 fiberglass brush. Twat!

About to send my heads to http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/ for relapping, ultrasonic cleaning and optical alignment. He also sells a range of replacement heads.

Taperecorder.co.uk offers a similar relapping service but he refuses to reply to my messages ... he gave me some advice about R2Rs when I was doing my preliminary research and then stopped responding... think he wanted a donation for his time... tried to send a message to make peace and regain contact but nothing back. Oh well, JRF comes highly recommended so apart from shitloads of paperwork I think I will get very good service.