Replacing my Yamaha SPX990 for software

- ask away
soapz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Replacing my Yamaha SPX990 for software

Post by soapz »

Im having to go completely laptop. ie completely equipment free.

My last piece of gear that hasn't already been replaced by an equal software/plugin version is my Yamaha SPX990 reverb/delay fx unit. Ive only really used this as a delay effect for my dj sets but now I want to put some of the delays into some productions i'm working on but am armed only with a laptop and need a top notch plugin.

As far as the reverb is concerned i was going to get the ValhallaRoom as I have the demo and from that it sounds pretty nice. I was wondering if anybody could help me with a recommended delay plugin? I've been looking around and listening to demos but they don't seem to be the same. When I first fed some sounds into the yamaha I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Even just sending random snippets from tv shows into the effects unit and letting the sounds bounce all over the place was sometimes hypnotising. I dont seem to be getting the same from any of the digital ones.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Replacing my Yamaha SPX990 for software

Post by tone-def »

Valhalla übermod. It's one of those plugins everyone should have.
soapz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by soapz »

Thanks, will download the demo now and check it out.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

There's a lot of decent delay ( and reverb ) plugins around but don't always assume you have to find a single thing to replace your needs. Often, the good thing about software is having the ability to daisy chain stuff together to create your own efx type devices. The plugins that come with DAW apps, freeware and commercial can be made to fit part of a chain rather than looking for a single thing to do it all.

In terms of delays though, I'm really fond of these:

Ohmforce - Ohmboyz
Fabfilter - Timeless

but this is my go to: http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/delays/psp_85/

Another thing i cannot live without is Xlutop Chainer, which is like a host within a host within a host ad infinitum, this alloac me to build complex instruments and efx chains across a single channel. Very handy tool in itself.