mnml.nl

Want to join us? Send us a message @ info
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:01 pm 

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to work on music for a while now, and I cant seem to.... find my 'creative' flow so to speak..
so i was wondering.. what do you guys do when dealing with 'writers block'?

cheers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:17 pm 
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

For me, its all about positive emotional input. For example, if i have a great dj gig or a nice evening with close friends on the weekend i can always put down some scetches for new tracks during the week. Not that the music will sound "happy" or positive itself but I really need to be in a clear and positive emotional state to compose. Maybe thats just cause im a really emotional person. A lot of musicians i know say "go outside" for a walk or something. for me this sounds a bit cheesy ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:38 am 
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

for me its been about finding the right equipment. looking at a computer screen while i compose just doesn't work for me. i'm not against computers in the studio or anything like that but i like starting a tune with a groovebox.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:11 am 
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

same as Tone.

use equipment that gets you straight into the flow.

i find computers counterproductive in the studio, but i know some people who thrive in that environment.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/steevio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:39 am 
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I'd say don't force it. If you're not in the mood, just don't make music. Sometimes I go a week or more without writing anything. Although, I will play my bass or beat on the drums in lieu of working on a song. Or I'll just make weirdo sh!t on the modular.

Leaving the house and doing anything really helps too. A round of golf or long bike ride really prime me up to work on music (not in the winter though).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:27 pm 
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

I try to keep my spirits up. If my mood is sour/down, I won't want to write anything.

Though sometimes just doing it brightens me up and I start to go with the flow. If it feels forced, it will make me feel worse, so then I immediately stop and do something else. This is a hobby to me and I don't want to ruin it :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:27 pm 

better living through chemistry.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:05 am 
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

i'm in the middle of a creative block, which kind of sucks since i'm jobless at the moment so I have plenty of time and energy to focus on music, first release after 3 years hiatus is coming out in two weeks, i should get a liveact togehter put i haven't been able to write a decent tune in the last month.
I spend the last weeks just listening to old projects and trashing them, made some maintenance in the sample library, cleaned up the computer etc etc...
so i took the chance and went to the hardware store and finally built basstraps and absorbers and pimped up my studio a bit, hopefully this will give me some fresh inspiration!
It's not my worst creative block, but this time really sucks since I could really make so much music, anyway if it doesn't it doesn't, so I'll just wait for the next creative wave and enjoy time with my 2 years old daughter.

I learned in the past that the best way to overcome a creative block is to just things flow, creativity will sparkle again sometime soon.