The 4 minute curse!

- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: The 4 minute curse!

Post by Phase Ghost »

As AK says, getting a track to the point where it's completely kicked in and working backwards is the easiest way to build the first part of the tune.

Personally, I've switched from really minimal tracks that are mostly the same evolving loop (sorta like the Frozen Border stuff), to the complete opposite. Well, not the complete opposite, but a lot more variation and different parts switching in and out. I'm just jamming until I hear something I like, then I record it for a while and make it fit in somewhere.

I think Minilogue are a great example of guys that do this style of arranging.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

dan curtin and the early morgan geist projects are also a good example of "always changing" stuff. It changes into something new almost every 16 bars. Can't think of an obvious track now but i'll listen through a few and edit the post with a link.
Harry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Harry »

Thanks for all the answers guys, really appreciate it. Lots of good tips here i will be trying out.

I've recently tried moving out of my comfort zone and making something a bit faster (132) and using a less structured approach, instead just letting the main groove roll on until i feel its time to change.

steevio wrote:Try to get as many parameters as you can on your control surface, so that you can morph things around while the main groove is playing
I need to do this more really, bought myself a Novation 61SL-MKII not too long ago but it takes up so much desk space its hard to use it without constantly moving things about haha. The few times i have used it to record automation, its really helped keep things moving in the tracks. Also got myself a Korg-ER1 drum machine, but am waiting to get a better soundcard before i can start recording live jams on it.
Papa Bear
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Papa Bear »

The 4 minute curse in producing? I suffer from the 4 minute curse in deejaying. I never know what the fck to play next after 4 minutes into my mix.
ms500
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ms500 »

The thing that helped me learn how to structure tracks was to analyse the music I love. Map out tracks, get inside them. Work out the mechanics of the music and the arrangements. I can't say enough how much this has helped develop my style, you'll be suprised how much you learn from it.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

make four minutes of awesome and build your intro and outro from there.