eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Tips on recording tracks live.

Post by eggnchips »

Barfunkel wrote:
eggnchips wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:
eggnchips wrote:Yes yes yes you are right chaps. I think however my setup is shitty so will have a rant in another post.
Didn't you have a Machinedrum? I've heard some really impressive pieces written entirely on a MD-UW.
Yeah the MD is great but not so good for synth stuff.
Why did you sell all your gear by the way?
I wasn't happy with my setup and I also needed a break from making music. I felt I couldn't create what I wanted with my old setup. I'm happy with a few of my tunes musically, but they don't sound professional enough.

I've already planned a new setup though, just haven't found a way to fund it yet!
Well good luck to you. I know you had the Monomachine. Did you like it? I think it sounds too thin personally.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

eggnchips wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:
eggnchips wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:
eggnchips wrote:Yes yes yes you are right chaps. I think however my setup is shitty so will have a rant in another post.
Didn't you have a Machinedrum? I've heard some really impressive pieces written entirely on a MD-UW.
Yeah the MD is great but not so good for synth stuff.
Why did you sell all your gear by the way?
I wasn't happy with my setup and I also needed a break from making music. I felt I couldn't create what I wanted with my old setup. I'm happy with a few of my tunes musically, but they don't sound professional enough.

I've already planned a new setup though, just haven't found a way to fund it yet!
Well good luck to you. I know you had the Monomachine. Did you like it? I think it sounds too thin personally.
I loved the Monomachine, but in the end I felt I had used every single permutation of it's sounds I could think of, so I let it go. I had some nice analogs actually, but in most of my tracks the synth sounds came solely from the humble MnM. Some tracks (like the Monodub and Monotechno series on my Soundcloud page) I made entirely with the MnM, drums included.

I don't think it sounds thin, if something, it has too much bass, I was constantly fighting the amount of bass I had in my tracks. However, it's definitely not a preset surfer's machine, you gotta learn how to program it to get the best possible sounds out of it. It does have a signature sound, some/most people don't like that.
iquar
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by iquar »

Hello, I dont know if i can say that without having some bad reactions from some peoples, so I will start with : it s not an obligation but..
Ricardo & Steevio are using modulars.. it s called modulars :p as steevio said it does need a lot of time to build a great to-you-fitted modular system, and he didnt say that it also cost a lot of money lol, but I m going that way too.
I m just starting, got something like 800€ of modules. I can do 1 sound at a time lol. So at the moment it a synth, a modulable synth.

I am recording live track too, but I always start forgoting to record in ableton. I just record on soundforge with telling myself "I just make a short demo of the groove", then I make an entire track and é"('"! on myself for not having recorded in ableton.
Because I kind of belive in the instantaneous.
But recording on the ableton sequencer is imperative for me, for fixing the errors. Like a kick or hhat badly closed..

So my objectiv is to be able to make more than 1 tweakable sound with with my modular setup.
When you make a hhat with a noise source, a vca, and more special modules, your hi hat, first, is always a little bit variating (never boring), and then, it s, especially, anytime tweakable in a totally fitting-in-the-track way. That s the magic of purity :P, analog from-the-source sound modeling.

So I actually play the recorded modular samples in Ableton but I wish 1 day having only modular inserts with the effects on them. And record only midi's.
And then on the 3rd round, get a lots of analog sequencers and get totally free.. lol

It s all about freedom ^^ costy freedom :p

But there are thing that can be more freedom giving than modulars, for example with the polyphonics.
You cant easily make polyphonic sounds with the modulars. Synths will be easier. If you are up for some kind of music in your grooves.
And the kick.. takes a lot of modules ( i am using full rack for a kick actually).. So I m going to buy a kick drum machine like a kick lancet or jomox mbase ones.

If you can afford these, they are my suggestions : Modulars, Kickdrum machine and a synth.

As a moneysaver, you can choose to get your snares, hhats, analog toms etc, from an mfb 522, vermona drm mk etc.. (and you got a kick with these).
All their sounds will be relatively modulable with knobs just in front of you. But they will still be less "original" and tweakable than "handmade" from the modulars.

Now about the synth, is polyphony a minimal thing ? :p ... you can get some weird (minimal house looking) polyphony with the modulars.

I tryed to be clear with what I am thinking. Hope my words will be usefull, have fun :)
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

steevio wrote: if you carefully construct your instrument with intelligent design, then composition is acheived the same way it always has been, by being in the moment with sound.
intelligence