what is techno/house?

- ask away
Aikho
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: what is techno/house?

Post by Aikho »

tone-def wrote:^^
Sounds like you don't know good techno. Techno is funky, soulful and moody.
I do consider a lot of techno good. I wasn't saying the simpler and more driving rhythm was a bad thing, it's a big part of what I like about techno. :)

And like you say, techno can also be funky and moody. But my personal interpetation is that it's more often based on a driving beat rather than a funky beat even though that also happens.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

steevio wrote:^^^^

we obviously all have different interpretations, and dont forget that there is also a well defined genre called tech house, which is house with techno elements.

the first clip, no matter who it was by, i would never call house, sounds like cheesey euro bleep to me.

The Barker & Baumecker track sounds like techno to me

the Detroit Swindle track is definitely house.

just my opinion
I totally agree that "Creep" is house and "Schlang Bang" is techno. The reason I used those two tracks as examples is that after playing both in a set back in early winter, someone asked me why I played the same record again later. I think they sound different, but I can understand why someone would make the mistake, especially if there's an hour or two between them.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

trak660 wrote:I don't even know what the difference is anymore.
Check out this Soundcloud clip. If it wasn't by Johnny Fiasco, would you still call it house?

How about these two tracks. The Barker & Baumecker track is considered to be techno, while the Detroit Swindle one is supposed to be house. To me, the vibe seems fairly similar.

And then there's Kris Wadsworth, whose music sounds like house to me, but he calls it techno.
http://www.ibiza-voice.com/story/news/3845
8)
1: Euro Dance type stuff. Dunno what it is, it's just rubbish.
2: Not my techno but more Techno than I can poke another label to.
3: Tech House, ie: House feel with an old skool Techno type feel for me.

Lol
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

all boundaries are illusion
(*)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:all boundaries are illusion
(*)
Reality is an illusion mate. Everything that exists is an illusion.......... (*)
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

I agree with you guys about the Johnny Fiasco track. What was he thinking? Here's one by him that's much better. I've continued to play it here and there since the nineties.