layer claps

- ask away
bradley1602
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: layer claps

Post by bradley1602 »

Hey guys thanks for tje many replies. Really nice forum. Ill gonna have a take on these things especially taking a 909 but change it so that its not so obvious any more. Grtz guys
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

i really like the clap sound on the vermona drm1... it's the best channel on the machine imo...
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

I think a good clap doesn't need layering unless your trying to achieve some experimental sound, or one you are making a stereo clap.
A good clap needs space to do its job. I always like the Oberheim DMX clap.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i like some of villalobos' claps, but their efficiency needs to be supported by really good surrounding percussion... without all the rest they wouldn't work.

i like snares in small doses (are they being counted?), especially in weird places.

generally I prefer percussion that doesn't rely on obvious on/off.
mr lee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mr lee »

never very front and center, but a fundamental part of the percussion. hard to get them right... i typically use 909, but 808 claps can be fun too.
bradley1602
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bradley1602 »

i think villalobos uses jomox xbase 999.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

bradley1602 wrote:i think villalobos uses jomox xbase 999.
I expect he uses many things for his claps :)
eggnchips wrote:I think a good clap doesn't need layering unless your trying to achieve some experimental sound, or one you are making a stereo clap.
A good clap needs space to do its job. I always like the Oberheim DMX clap.
I think that claps are one of the few things that get loads better layered. I think when static samples are used or even the sample clap setting on a drum machine, it makes the claps sound really static. I think if there is no movement in a sound then it doesn't belong there. Layering and changing velocities and timings can make two clap sounds go a very long way and sound really organic. Even the note of a hi-hat pattern colliding with your clap every bar or so can give an impression of a completely new sound. I think things like this really make simple patterns flow...
oblioblioblio wrote: i like snares in small doses (are they being counted?), especially in weird places.
I normally put snares and claps into the same catagory. So when I talk about claps, I'm talking about snares too. But I find I use claps more often.
bradley1602
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bradley1602 »

do you guys often use both so for example sanre and clap on 2 and 4th beat?