layer claps

- ask away
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: layer claps

Post by eggnchips »

eggnchips wrote:I think a good clap doesn't need layering unless your trying to achieve some experimental sound, or one you are making a stereo clap.
A good clap needs space to do its job. I always like the Oberheim DMX clap.
I think that claps are one of the few things that get loads better layered. I think when static samples are used or even the sample clap setting on a drum machine, it makes the claps sound really static. I think if there is no movement in a sound then it doesn't belong there. Layering and changing velocities and timings can make two clap sounds go a very long way and sound really organic. Even the note of a hi-hat pattern colliding with your clap every bar or so can give an impression of a completely new sound. I think things like this really make simple patterns flow...

[/quote]

Yes of course it is always good to experiment layering claps with other sounds to achieve something else, or to give another sound some weight, but in the context of trying to active a good clap sound it is best in my opinion to use a good clap.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

bradley1602 wrote:do you guys often use both so for example sanre and clap on 2 and 4th beat?
arrggghhh no, never, no claps or snares on 2nd and 4th beat,,, anywhere else but.

if you want funk, you've got to get out of the plod trap...

syncopation is the way.

if you want people to march on the spot or just move from side to side, go with the 2/4 sh!t, if you want sex in your music, syncopate !

you wouldnt make love like a robot ? or would you ???? ;)
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

steevio wrote:
bradley1602 wrote:do you guys often use both so for example sanre and clap on 2 and 4th beat?
arrggghhh no, never, no claps or snares on 2nd and 4th beat,,, anywhere else but.

syncopation is the way.

if you want people to march on the spot or just move from side to side, go with the 2/4 sh!t, if you want sex in your music, syncopate !

Well we make robot music, so what's wrong with making love like a robot?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:

syncopation is the way.

Steevio, you make me smile at times bro! Don't forget you are putting your own personal likes and dislikes into this debate. Nothing wrong with a clap or snare on the 2 & 4 bro but I appreciate you hate it. I love my House beats man. Please don't kill them lol. :lol:
bradley1602
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bradley1602 »

discussions alwayes end up the same in here^^
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
Steevio, you make me smile at times bro! Don't forget you are putting your own personal likes and dislikes into this debate. Nothing wrong with a clap or snare on the 2 & 4 bro but I appreciate you hate it. I love my House beats man. Please don't kill them lol. :lol:
haha, it's meant to make you smile bro, come on you dont take me seriously all the time do you ?

but yeah the question was 'do you guys ever.... etc.' and i answered it 100% honestly.

this music is all about personal likes and dislikes, if we all kept our mouths shut about that on the forum would anyone ever know that there's other ways to do things other than the bog standard ways. it seems to me that if no-one ever questions the status quo, we'll all still be listening those tired all house beats in another 30 years.

i wish more people would throw their ideas into the hat. it might make for some interesting discussion about rhythmic / tonal possibilities.

my personal tastes aside, syncopation is, and always has been one of the key elements in any dance music, i dont think pointing that out is somehow overstepping the mark. its something to be explored, why reserve it for the odd ornament every few bars, it has power.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:i absolutely hate claps, i think they are the most cliche'd and overused sound in electronic music, but i do actually occasionally use a 909 clap :oops: filtered down through a moogerfooger LPF with plenty of envelope to kill the reverb so that you cant really notice its a clap, and occasionally layer a 909 clap quietly under the snare to give the snare extra oomph.
i also find that claps sound way better flammed, i can just about bear them like that.

i synthesize every sound i use except for claps, i've just never had the desire to try, but good on you AK for managing that one, it's one of the difficult ones. the 909 clap sounds about as good as you could get and with filtering, flamming etc. you can manipulate it away from the obvious.
I actually knew you were gonna jump in with something along those lines as I remember it from before. I can see why a clap/snare on the 2 & 4 for you would be a hate thing, it's completely out of the question because of how you write and how your musical mind works but it isn't a cliche'. It's just the percussive polar opposite of the kickdrum. A snare, a clap etc. I see it as the 'call and response' thing like in any other percussive led scenario. I think you just hate 4/4 where a snare or a clap on the 2/4 makes it even more 4/4.

Lol. :lol:
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
I actually knew you were gonna jump in with something along those lines as I remember it from before. I can see why a clap/snare on the 2 & 4 for you would be a hate thing, it's completely out of the question because of how you write and how your musical mind works but it isn't a cliche'. It's just the percussive polar opposite of the kickdrum. A snare, a clap etc. I see it as the 'call and response' thing like in any other percussive led scenario. I think you just hate 4/4 where a snare or a clap on the 2/4 makes it even more 4/4.

Lol. :lol:
i think it would be an interesting discussion to talk about why we love and hate the 2/4 clap thing, i could talk about it forever, but its unfair to hi-jack this thread, so i'm sorry for being tangential, and will stfu.
If you fancy discussing it, we could always start a thread about it, personally i think its something that anchors this music and stops it progressing, house music is about the only form of music i know of which appears to have remained virtually unchanged for nearly 30 years, if you look at almost any other music, it rapidly evolves and mutates, which to me is exhilarating and what music is all about, but with 90% of house, another generation comes along and repeats the formula.
but listen to people like Jus Ed, Fred P, Joey Anderson etc.. these guys dont follow the formula, and its the only house music i can listen to these days, their music is open and flowing..

ive said too much