How can I get a nice deep Chorus bass like this? Don't know

- ask away
shubelo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

How can I get a nice deep Chorus bass like this? Don't know

Post by shubelo »

Hey guys, I've been playing around on soft synths for a while manly just to lean and replicate tracks I'm interested in. Making few track myself but get the pleaser out of playing synth sounds and beats.

Hoping some of you guys might be able to help get a similar sound to the lead basslines in these particular tracks.

I have been playing around with similar sounds such as this one mini moog v and TAL juno plug in.

But I cant get that nice wide saturated chorusy and filter cutoff/AMP like the other one. Mine been ''sharper'' and more ''crispy'' compared to there ''groan'' and ''lushes'' sounds. Is there any tricks to getting the sound like that. all the tracks bass sound so similar that I guessing they all applying very similar techniques. Maybe these to plug ins are limited? would a ploy 6 or poly ana plug in get a better result?? Can I go further with a the chorus technique? Im using the TAL juno and ableton chorus. just not sure what to do!!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How can I get a nice deep Chorus bass like this? Don't k

Post by AK »

I'm assuming you're talking more about chorus and width on the bass rather than the sound of the actual bass in those tracks. A common thing and something I have done before now when trying to add width to a bass, is to keep the low end mono and have a chorus set up on a send followed by a hi pass filter. Or, in software, you can duplicate the bass track and hi pass filter it and add a chorus to that.

This way, you are just adding a bit of 'bling' to the bass, but by keeping the weight mono and effecting the higher region, it remains stable and punchy. The danger, in my opinion, with width on bass, is that it can lose its impact a bit. Low end stuff just sounds better to my ears when it's centralised and in focus. If you try this, once you've duplicated the track ( or whatever method you use ) you can either hi pass before or after the chorus plugin, both should work fine. Maybe start around 250hz for your hi pass but really just experiment.
shubelo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by shubelo »

AK wrote:I'm assuming you're talking more about chorus and width on the bass rather than the sound of the actual bass in those tracks. A common thing and something I have done before now when trying to add width to a bass, is to keep the low end mono and have a chorus set up on a send followed by a hi pass filter. Or, in software, you can duplicate the bass track and hi pass filter it and add a chorus to that.

This way, you are just adding a bit of 'bling' to the bass, but by keeping the weight mono and effecting the higher region, it remains stable and punchy. The danger, in my opinion, with width on bass, is that it can lose its impact a bit. Low end stuff just sounds better to my ears when it's centralised and in focus. If you try this, once you've duplicated the track ( or whatever method you use ) you can either hi pass before or after the chorus plugin, both should work fine. Maybe start around 250hz for your hi pass but really just experiment.

Thanks for that mate, thought I replied to this ages ago. I finally manage to get a nice sound out of FM8 using the TAL chorus. All your posts on other threads have also been very helpful, especially on music theory, keep up the good work.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

shubelo wrote:
AK wrote:I'm assuming you're talking more about chorus and width on the bass rather than the sound of the actual bass in those tracks. A common thing and something I have done before now when trying to add width to a bass, is to keep the low end mono and have a chorus set up on a send followed by a hi pass filter. Or, in software, you can duplicate the bass track and hi pass filter it and add a chorus to that.

Thanks for that mate, thought I replied to this ages ago. I finally manage to get a nice sound out of FM8 using the TAL chorus. All your posts on other threads have also been very helpful, especially on music theory, keep up the good work.
Nice One! I know I mentioned a chorus plugin but really, if you're using software, you don't even need that. Here's another simple but often overlooked thing you can try too. After making your bass, copy/duplicate the entire thing twice. Then mute the first bass so you just have the two copies playing. Pan 1 left and 1 right and go to each of the synths and detune each of them heavily clockwise and anticlockwise. Then insert an eq on either the left or right panned bass and remove some low end, then insert an eq on the other panned bass and copy the eq settings to that. That alone will give you a nice chorus but you can add a bit of unique modulation to each of the panned synths here, maybe a gentle LFO on each of the filters at a different clock speed, or pitch, basically anything that adds a nice bling, the detuning and panning will already give it chorusing. Then maybe a HP filtered room on a send to each of those panned parts and you have something far more interesting than a plugin chorus effect, esp. with subtle modulation. :D