DSI Tetra in your live setup

- ask away
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

DSI Tetra in your live setup

Post by optX »

Hey guys,

finally I am going to buy a Dave Smith Tetra within the next weeks. Wanted one since it came out, now money is right and it seems to be more stable. I am curious how you guys are implementing it in your live setups.

I`d like to sync it to Ableton Live in Program Mode with enabled multitimbral capability so I can use it as 4 independent mono synths and trigger it from Live clips and use its internal sequencer on some voices simultaneously.
Next to using Live as a trigger for the Tetra I would use it as a source for samples like fieldrecordings and additionally as a FX unit. Does anybody of you route back hardware synth signals into Ableton to use Ableton as FX unit during live PA? That`s what I wanna do but I am not sure how to handle latency.

Some shared experiences would be very appreciated! =)
I could ask on prophet5.org but I prefer asking here because prophet5 is rather about bugs and problem solving...

Yeah, I am looking forward to finally doing livesets with included hardware again! :D

Cheers,
t.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: DSI Tetra in your live setup

Post by livecollective »

i personally cannot stand routing back into ableton for any reason. it introduces latency that i can never seem to correct (not saying its impossible, just not worth my time).

If you are using ableton as a sequencer basically i would just stick to it as that, and start grabbing up some outboard fx (and a mixer with some aux/sends and inserts)... otherwise it would be wise to record the bits you want to use ableton fx for in ableton and clean up the timing.

The less ableton does the better tbh.
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by optX »

thank`s for sharing your thoughts on this!

Actually I`d prefer using an ext. mixer with hardware FX too. I have an old Mackie mixer and was looking for stompboxes like EHX Cathedral and that stuff but then I`d have to spend money again and my setup would become too bulky...

For now I could use Babyface as a mixer. There I have EQ and FX (Reverb, Echo) on every channel.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

im no pro or anything, but i've had live 8 run a mopho with various results: latency was fine, but it had trouble syncing more gear through the mopho (the unit couldn't handle sync data) = running stuff that appreciates sync and has no midi out after the mopho didn't work. I'm not sure if I had a sketchy module or so though

good luck bro
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by optX »

I`ve read a lot about problems when syncing the Tetra via USB. But the Mopho doesn`t have a USB port right? I remember having syncing problems with the Evolver too when using it with the Korg EMX. EMX had to be the master, then Evolver was ok (I have to mention that I synced it with Pro Tools 7 back in the days. Always troubles with Midi).

Anyway, on monday the Tetra should arrive! 8) Looking forward to having fun with it.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

nice! could you upload some audio so that i can hear it in action?
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by optX »

of course! When I got my head around it I`ll upload some samples.
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by optX »

here you can download a short and dirty track > http://www.sendspace.com/file/bp4gmg
Everything is made from scratch except the bassline which is a preset. no processing except sidechain comp on one melodic line. pure tetra sound.
quick and dirty means that I didn`t care a lot about edits, fades, volume ... just a short song to show what can be done in 60min.