Remixing

- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Remixing

Post by Phase Ghost »

How do people feel about remixing tracks? I really can't seem to get into it myself. When I get a sample pack to attempt to remix, it generally sounds next to nothing like the original. If I use the original sounds/loops the way they were presented, I feel like I'm really not doing much, so I end up altering the originals so much, that it's a new tune essentially.

If the track had a vocal to anchor it, I suppose that would make it different. Ideally, I think midi files would be much better, so someone could essentially cover the original as opposed to making something new out of the original sounds. I suppose it depends on your process as well. If your used to doing a lot of edits, it probably makes sense. Don't know. Anyone care to share their experiences?
mr lee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Remixing

Post by mr lee »

I take the same approach to remixing as I do original tracks, however I don't have to go through the process of creating the initial sound/structure of the bass, lead, etc. I may only use 75% of what comes in the pack, or stick to the main elements depending on how distinctive the specific elements are.

The remix should sound and feel like a remix. You should be able to pick out some elements from the OG, but still stand on it's own as a solid track.

I know that doesn't answer your question directly, but my advice would be to not over think it. The hard part is already done... just a matter how how you want to interpret it.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I seem to go a lot more abstract when doing a remix. I try and use as much of the original sounds as possible but often add one or two other elements. I just wish someone would ask me to remix something.
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

I think you can approach remixing in lots of different ways. I've released stuff for artists that had basically no similarity to the original, using only snippets or very obscure layers of the tune. I've also done edits where the differences are quite subtle - although maybe not so much on a good soundsystem ;)

Personally I prefer to re-work parts by ear rather than using MIDI files (it's helpful to know how to do this if you want to play a guitar part on a synth or something like that)