Help with setting up a fx chain in Live

- ask away
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Help with setting up a fx chain in Live

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Hey everyone long time since i posted, been busy making music and going to school i guess.

Any way I need help setting up a thing. I wan't to have a delay or echo followed by a frequencyshifter and then the outputsignal of the frequencyshifter too feedback into the delay. This to get the effect of the shifter continuously shifting. I asked a friend in school and he says the best way is prolly using something like reaktor to set it up. But would be nice to have a simpler way of doing it. I'm using ableton live btw.

Thanks
Jonas
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Help with setting up a fx chain in Live

Post by lem »

I don't think I am clear on what you are trying to do. What exactly are you having trouble with? I mean you can insert a delay and a frequency shifter can't you?
To feedback just send that signal to another return track, then send from that return back to your delay channel. But stick a limiter on your delay channel as it will distort like crazy and get really loud.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Feel kind of stupid now. I had tried doing what you said before and only got a ton of distortion, and I don't want to just slam a limiter in the chain cause that will squish my dynamics right? Any how now i did it the same way and as long as I'm just a bit carefull when turning the knobs I have pretty good controll and it sounds alright!

guess i just couldnt figure it out cause it was just infront of me...
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

One thing that might not make this work 100% is the fact that both these devices as software will introduce latency, and that will stop the feedback interacting in a really fluid way.

One of the most popular Serge units, the Klangzeit (I think), uses an analogue delay followed by a frequency shifter, and because it's all analogue the feedback will all be interacting instantly, whereas when both plugins have latency you won't get exactly the right effect, as the feedback will always be out of phase, and the phasing will get increased and layered again and again the more you feedback.

Perhaps Reaktor might do it, or any plugin that can do the 2 effects at close to the same time. I don't know, perhaps I'm full of sh!t. Just use your ears. Check out some videos of that Serge module to see how deep these 2 effects next to each other can go!
Alex Bizzaro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alex Bizzaro »

hi, if i understood well:
create a return track putting into it a delay and the frequency shifter...create an audio track and set the previous return track to send to it the signal....put a delay on the audio track and it's done
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

JonasEdenbrandt wrote:Feel kind of stupid now. I had tried doing what you said before and only got a ton of distortion, and I don't want to just slam a limiter in the chain cause that will squish my dynamics right? Any how now i did it the same way and as long as I'm just a bit carefull when turning the knobs I have pretty good controll and it sounds alright!

guess i just couldnt figure it out cause it was just infront of me...

Don't feel stupid mate, we have all been there. And much less creative questions get asked all the time!

Yeah the 'ton of distortion' is what digital feedback is. The process in general is a destructive one, so I wouldn't worry about dynamics. Even so, a limiter will only kick in once it exceeds the threshold and won't effect anything below that.
I often stick compressors and limiters in fx chains. Actually, i think its pretty much the only time I use compressors of limiters.

I don't like making effects chains so I have to be careful turning knobs. I have as much as possible set to satisfy on all extremes ;)