Tuning samples

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Tuning samples

Post by lem »

Thanks for your reply AK, you are a massive help. Everyone has been! (this is why I would rather ask here than g.slutz!)
Like I said before, it helps just to talk this stuff out with you guys. I come to my own conclusions as much as I get good advice.

I think I do drastically edit the sample, in that I make the loop length so it is capturing at least a full cycle. Then I tune it from there. Sometimes if it has a really wobbly pitch I take out a couple of cycles until the tuner stays reletively stable, and then judge if it takes too much away from the movement of the sound. Then sometimes comparing it to a sinewave and re-introducing cycles to see if the pitch wobble is really that audible. Normally removing a few cycles doesn't take too much away from the sound so I hardly bother adding it those extra cycles but in a few cases a great sound dies a death without the movement. I have also used the LP filter trick to stablize the tuner.

The only issues with these methods is that the harmonics arn't really measured. A spectral analyser would certainly do this job. But then how to change the pitch of the harmonics without effecting the fundemental...? I guess I didn't think about EQ. I could attenuate those harmonics until they don't have such a disorientating impact on my melody... But then, am I just masking the problem? I could be the sort of thing that my ears get more trained to and then it becomes a pig to play again.

I am trying to use the samplersynth(s) for live improvisation. I use scale and chord plugins on multiple channels with the same midi controller assigned to each parameter so nothing can go out of tune. As long as the sounds are in tune in the first place.
If I was writing a track I would be like, "ohh that chord sounds bad with these sounds" so I just wouldn't play that chord. Whereas with what I do, I just want to play any chord the scaler and chord plugin allows. With plugins it works fine, but my samples are too inharmonic or textured. I can have a sequence going and it seems to sound fine, then I change the sequence and it all goes horribly wrong!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Tuning samples

Post by AK »

Sounds cool mate. All the theory aside, it's always best to use those sticky outy things positioned either side of your head. :lol: Nothing else matters, trust me. Your music is really good, have the confindence in yourself to judge what you think works, no amount of analyzing or theory can ever tell you that.