Macbook Pro 13" I7

- ask away
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Macbook Pro 13" I7

Post by jackbrazzo »

Guys will I be ok with above to make music with? I want to save the extra 300 odd and get the smaller screen and hook myself up with a quality external monitor. Need the 8GB of RAM I reckon and the faster processor, plus I get portability aspect. As far as using programs on the 13" is it a waste of time?
Cheers
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Macbook Pro 13" I7

Post by tone-def »

It depends on how you use it. It's probably faster than your old computer.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

It will be - I was more concerned with the lack of monitor spacewith 13" - i.e could I edit stems or whatever for large periods of time on a 13 screen? I reckon I can just about get away with. (-) :)
headband
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by headband »

I was working for a long time with a 13" macbook as the core of my recording set-up and it was fine for everything as far as screen size went, the only thing that got a bit tedious is when you wanted to have multiple devices/VSTs open at the same time, but other than that it wasn't too big of a drawback (the size at least)
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

the 13s get a bit hot
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Definitely use an external keyboard, mouse and monitor. I have a 13" Macbook I use for development work and I rarely even use the laptop screen unless I'm at my girlfriend's place.

Buy the cheapest 13", get your own extra 4GB of ram and you'll be set. Laptops always run hotter than regular computers, so you can't avoid that part.

You could always build a hackintosh too.

edit***********

If you're not sold on the i7, I'd take a look at the Mac Mini. You can upgrade the RAM and hard drive and come in under a grand for a pretty good computer.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

True - its due to be upgraded soon (Mac Mini). To be honest I want the portability too - I am on trains a lot for business and I work away. Went up to the Apple store today -fck me they are very expensive - i guess u pay for what you get.

£1700 for an I7 15" -urk -boom -urk :-sta
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i find 15" screens hard to work with but i've been using imacs and minis the last 7 years.