is anyone using MASCHINE ?

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: is anyone using MASCHINE ?

Post by oblioblioblio »

I think the Octatrack was released with still unfinished operating system, which seems flawless now with lots of new features.

I think it's great. And yes, I'm the same as you with regard to buying digital stuff. I absolutely hate machines that get trashed after only a small amount of time, especially if I use them to make music!

The ER-1 is fucking fantastic. What a great little box... had some great times jamming with that thing.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

i was curious about the octatrack. a friend showed me his last friday with the updated os but i wasnt really impressed. a lot use of sub menus and use of the function button. not so intuitiv. has some cool features but i was expecting more direct access options. i´ll guess i have to stay with ableton for live gigs.
techno made me do it
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

it was good for me because i don't use a computer really. I actually find the menus well organised and fast to work with... i think for an 8 track sampler with editing/slicing/sequencing they've done pretty well. Well, it works for me anyways.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

It also means I can use my voice now without completely embarrassing myself.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

oblioblioblio wrote:It also means I can use my voice now without completely embarrassing myself.
i want to hear this. i can just imagine you singing like a Tibetan monk. :lol:
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

just simple formant kind of sounds ahhs and oos. You can get nice textures from timestretching them. I don't think I'll ever put them right up front in a mix but as layers they seem to be working OK. You can do good slicing and splicing and reversal as well with the Octatrack which I've ye to explore. I did a lot of experiments with vocals when I first got into making music and was much more carefree. I'm quite excited to get back into it.

Also tried reading words, which gives you much more complex sounds, and pitch shifting them a few semitones somehow changes it for the better. Again probably will keep them as layers though rather than up front. Got to say I've been very inspired by Shackleton in this area... his newest one is simple phenomenal. He's taken the Steve Reich sampling ideas f.e. It's Gonna Rain and Come Out right into this very meaningful tapestry of sound and vision.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i think a bit of poetry would go well with some of your compositions.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

sh!t obli, never thought i would hear u talking about sampling!
I have actually been building a sorta rompler using simpler in ableton. making pad sounds outta...well anything. my favorite is from a hacksaw blade being twanged.

So does this mean we might see some Diffuse with beats? :)