Re: DRUMCELL in the studio

Post by blizt »

Very cool guy!
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

His live sets at Berghain are great, but, like everything modular, this is nothing but a load of uninteresting bleeps and bloops. Absolutely everyone I know of who got a modular, with no exceptions, now listen to random blips and bloops for hours on end like it's amazing sweet love milk direct from Gods own tit. The sad reality is that no one can spot the difference between the end result and an entirely random patch tweaked by a drunken monkey.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

MagpieIndustries wrote:His live sets at Berghain are great, but, like everything modular, this is nothing but a load of uninteresting bleeps and bloops. Absolutely everyone I know of who got a modular, with no exceptions, now listen to random blips and bloops for hours on end like it's amazing sweet love milk direct from Gods own tit. The sad reality is that no one can spot the difference between the end result and an entirely random patch tweaked by a drunken monkey.
I don't see the problem, one of the things I like from modulars is the randomness you can get out of it (still dont own one, but plan to). Even if a drunken monkey got a magnificent patch, it's still a magnificent patch! Is it worst just because he didnt got a clue what he whas doing?
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

owning a modular takes away your ability to distinguish between a magnificant patch and a lot of bleepy bloopy noises, is more what i mean. :-)

seriously though, i think they give a lot in terms of audio engineering and patching and modulation, but it usually comes at the cost of taste and actually getting on with it and creating listenable music. that drumcell video is a great example, its just pure sh!t beeps and noises. modular owners are so inbred that they have trained themselves to like it by hearing lfos that modulate the amp env decay. but its still just shitty beeps
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

i'm not a fan of modular stuff but i would never say it's sh!t nor that you're not be able to make tunes with it....your point of view is very narrow minded....some old classic techno is based on bleeps and sequenced loops...if someone wants to use modulars then let them just use it...when it`s not for you that is fine but there are so many big artists like CHRIS LIEBING,SPEEDY J etc. that uses modular stuff and make great tunes.....so don't come and bash on stuff that inspire other people....
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

its a discussion forum, isnt it? im expressing my point of view. its be bloody boring if we all agreed on everything and just sat around patting each other on the backs and saying what a big cock you have.
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

the reason people use modulars is that they like the patching, the physical interface, the gear etc. not primarily cos they want to make killer tunes with it. discuss.