Mutronics Mutator

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Mutronics Mutator

Post by hydrogen »

Anybody have one of these? or recommend an equivalent? I really want to get a separate filter for my synths thats controllable via midi.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Mutronics Mutator

Post by oblioblioblio »

don't bother.

get a little modular rack. watch your life dissappear. Best music technology in the world.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

jomox moonwind
techno made me do it
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

oblioblioblio wrote:Best music technology in the world.
very overall point of view...
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

sorry I missed the IMO.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

oblioblioblio... you are right it makes sense... especially in this case... I could totally build one of these wondering to start with happy ending kit? or a bigger rack.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

i have a happy ending kit...sending a lot stuff through my borg filter. computer > borg filter > moogphaser > (stereo) into tubes or more effects back to computer...
they told me at schneidersladen the powersupply of the happy ending kit is big enough for 2 rows. so later just buy another pair of rails.
techno made me do it
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

@Hydrogen

The TipTop power is not ideal IMHO, especially not the ones with ribbon cable for distribution (instead of boards). My analogue modules sound much better with a good quality PSU. In an analogue circuit the building block of all audio are the power rails, and with poor power and poor power distribution you start getting noise and other problems. Ribbon cables lose a lot of current, and daisy chaining the power from one module to the next (rather than fanning out from the power source like a tree, with each module with it's own link back to the source instead of via it's neighbour) can cause problems. Also digital switching power can be noisy in itself.

I'm happy investing in very high quality engineering (as long as it is priced fairly), and so my power is by Hinton Instruments. http://hinton-instruments.co.uk/paprod/psu/index.htm

This PSU is enough to power a lot, so it might not be cost effective for a small system. If you send an enquiry you could get a smaller one built that will be enough for a little 3U rack.

Anyways that's just my 2cents. If you want cheaper I'm sure the other options will work fine, but you started out with a super HiFi product, so I'm giving my ideas how modular designers can get to those places too.

My filters are Wiard Boogie and Borg, I have 2 of each. They're very clean sounding and some people don't like that. It suits me just fine and it gets to very special places. My other favourite is the Livewire Frequensteiner, which has a very unique character. It's the Joy Division of the filter world (sorry if that analogy doesn't work). The design of it is a bit weird and it can pick up noise from other modules, although there are ways around that, and I think with good power you can minimise this.

Cwejman is very highly rated. Same with Schippmann who has just released a filter (although he's covered all the circuitry is glue out of fear of stealing his design, which put me off a bit).

Synthtech/MOTM is just about to release a Moog Filter. He's been around for a while and his designs are great.

Also Toppobrillo has a Serge like filter. Manhatten analogue MA35 which is a Korg clone.