audio interface

- ask away
lunarodyssey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

audio interface

Post by lunarodyssey »

Hey.
I'm running Ableton 8 on a new iMac with 8 gigs of RAM and i'm after a firewire audio interface that preferably has few or more inputs because i want run one synth and kick module plugged in at the same time with very low latency. I don't know a great deal about the importance of pre-amps but as long as it can record audio at a good/high quality i'm happy. I'm not looking to spend more than 800$

Motu ultralite mk3 hybrid

Echo audiofire pre 8

Focusrite saffire pro 40

These small also look like very nice but it's usb

Rme babyface

Apogee duet 2

There are very positive reviews for all of these interfaces on the internet and many varied opinions in forums yet none appear to be universally acknowledged as particularly better than the rest. Is this literally the case that they're basically all the same or can anyone shine some sensible light on this dilemma?
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: audio interface

Post by kdgh »

Go for RME, Echo or Apogee.
Never ever ever ever ever go for Focusrite.

I read on the net the echo 8pre and 12 use the same components as the RME 400/800.
Though the RME have a much better software included.

The Apogee stuff is already really good, only i don't like wires...
It's get messy quite easily if you need to patch everything the whole time or whatsoever
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

why not focusrite?
i like mine (old series saffire pro 26).
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

I've had an echo audiofire2 and audiofire8 for several years.
They both served me very well. I'd easily give them an 8,5/10.
Only thing I didn't quite like about them was the (software) control panel. And the volume knob wasn't the greatest either.
I upgraded to an apogee duet and ensemble. (9,5/10)
They are definitely a step up sound quality wise, and I have to say that I love its easy interface.
I've heard an RME in use several times, and I'd probably say that soundwise it's definitely up there with the apogee stuff.
I think the apogee ensemble is a bit better built than the RME, but compared to stuff like the echo's, both are still very well built.
I know the ensemble isn't mentioned here, and might be a bit too high pricewise, but if you can save up for it, don't hesitate, I've had mine for well over 2 years now, and it works perfectly.
I agree the cables stuff with the duet is just crap. (as it is with any external cabling stuff for smaller soundcards)
mykul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mykul »

I love my MOTU Ultralite.
lunarodyssey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lunarodyssey »

someone tel difference between the usb / firewire
they have big difference or it's not so important?
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Stomper wrote:why not focusrite?
i like mine (old series saffire pro 26).
I have the same soundcard. No way a fan boy, but for me there is much more important stuff to spend money on in the Studio. Most of the full time producers I know don't use anything better than my Focusrite.
I mean it records, the pre-amps can be clean or nice and trashy. Its got a headphone amp with dedicated level control and a mute button! Thats pretty much all I need from a soundcard.

There was a thread way back when where people were discussing convertors. I can't really hear much difference tbh. But I'm sure there is a difference, but I care about the music more.

To the OP; if you search 'interface' or 'soundcard' in the search box, you should find a couple of fairly recent threads where we all argue about convertors, share few laughs and don't really come to much of a a conclusion. But its still a good read with lots of useful information. Firewire and USB is discussed there..
reddie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by reddie »

I got the RME FF800
never had a problem with it, has crisp sound and wicked mixer.