Considering getting Maschine

- ask away
5meohd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Considering getting Maschine

Post by 5meohd »

I'm using the maschine exactly how you intend to do. I absolutely love it. That said, I am having stability issues when trying to run plug-ins with it. As you said, you don't require that functionality. I decided to try something similar.. internally route maschines midi to operator and analog in Live. I can't figure it out? I can of course run a midi cable out and back in.. I think? That just seems silly though.

For grooves its perfect. I say go for it...

as far as grid size yes.. each group can be independent. I'm not positive if each sample can be.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

forget the boss delay and flangers. do some research and you will find a lot better ones for the same sort of money.

the mxr carbon copy is a good place to start looking.
Too late Ray :( Got a DD-7 second hand and a I have an original analogue delay by BOSS that I have inherited\stolen from my Dad! Just need to get the tempest now. I really am itching to get good and go LIVE. I am getting to the point now where I enjoy DJIng records but need something else to spice it all up.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

ah unlucky then. i have the dd7 after being to lazy to get on a bus and go to digital village and just going to my local guitar shop and impulse buying. its pretty rubbish to be honest, most plugins i have are better.

have you ever made music before? if not expect it to take a few years.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

have you ever made music before? if not expect it to take a few years.
Not really - I've got a pretty good idea about rythmns and stuff but no other than using a 707 I havent made music. I've got some ideas and feel positive about the whole thing (think this is important). I was thinking more like 6 months and using the winter to settle down and learn some sh!t, but I am in no rush I guess.

Back to the Maschine - Does anyone rate it? I see a few about at gigs - Is it worth getting the OP to shell out on it?
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

I had MASCHINE for a short time [unfortunately i had to sell it, money issues] i was using it with a mac book pro intel 2.2 core 2 duo and 2 GB ram and ableton Live 8.

I bought it for the same reason, i wanted to have the perc. separated from Ableton, to be able to make variations on the fly and leave Ableton alone for the rest of the sounds.....for that, it worked fine, the only thing i dint like was the CPU consumption, the more sounds you add + the more tacks and instruments in live the worse it was going, sometimes a bit unstable, the cpu usage in ableton was marking very high most of the time, and the cooling fan was really loud....[i was always paranoid it would overheat anytime lol, but that is just me] i guess with this computer was not enough when you get exited and carried away with maschine + ableton.

so....in between the decision of making my computer "stronger" [lol] or just buying something independent from it that does the job, recently i got the opportunity to buy dedicated hardware for the perc. and i went just for a humble Electribe ESX-1 instead. I give priority to hands on when it comes to perc, specially for live and jamming, i guess i was getting tired of the "clics", although my percs are pretty basic, nothing fancy [i try to make 4/4 techno], but it is nice for me just to be able to control the basics from it right away [muting, soloing, step change, repetitions, etc]. Having a midi controller exclusively for Ableton and not to struggle with midi channels for percs makes it really comfortable and more relaxed for me to focus on the live set......a Live set can get complicated enough sometimes...but that is only my opinion, besides, i am on my "slow" way to depend the less i can from the computer, right now i am only using Live for midi clips sending to the external synths and for audio clips/loops i record from them and make some loops for live sets.

so.....the DD-7 is crap ha? nice to hear that, i was gonna buy it last week [impulsively] but something stopped me, now i will consider thoe carbon copy that looked nice.....

EDIT [forgot to mention something else, sory]:

I didnt notice much difference in the CPU consumption between stand alone and plugin mode, one thing that was nice is the fact that you could saver everything in the same project as a plugin [stand alone makes it possible also of course, but it is just another file].
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Thank you for all the replies. I am near the point of buying. But I keep thinking that M4L could produce much more flexible results... Its just a time thing.
I am concerned that Maschine is going to have a few 'little' limitations, that for the way I work.. Could produce big problems. I'm going to try to ask some more direct questions..

Can you trigger patterns from Midi notes?

How many sequences can play at one time?
i.e the hats playing on a different sequence with control of the clock division and start/end points that won't effect other drums.

How long can a sequence be? Can I make a pattern 64 steps long? If so how do I switch the view of 16 pads to each stage and can this be done automatically?

In Ableton there are follow actions, is there anything like this on Maschine?

How many samples can be on one pad and how can you switch between them? In drumracks, I can use a sampler and cycle through sounds with a midi knob. It massively reduces clutter and its automatable.

Could I just route midi from maschine into Ableton drum racks? Do you think its a waste of maschine just to do this? If so, can you think of an easier/more cost effective way?

Thanks in advance