Considering getting Maschine

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Considering getting Maschine

Post by lem »

Hi Guys, I know a lot of you have maschine. I don't know anyone with it or any shops local to me where I can try it... I have tried reading up on it, but I'm sort of none the wiser to certain functions...
At the moment I use Ableton Live (with max) for my live set, with no 3rd party plugins and no hardware synths. I use step sequencers I have made in Max4Live for my synths and some Monome bits for percussion and hats..
It the moment the beats are pretty static, I'm sure I can create more Max4live devices to make them more animated. But my current meathod of step sequencing beats is a little clunky.

I'm not really interested in using it for production, I will be using it Live.... so I don't want to think about anything that requires stopping the audio.

My questions are;
I'm assuming I will be able to do X0X type sequencing from Maschine. But what elaborations are there on this? Can I give just one voice (say a hi-hat) a different loop length? Or a different clock speed?

What is the CPU usage like? Do you ever experience dropouts when cycling through sounds etc...

What about syncing and using with Ableton? I hear a lot people saying about running it in External mode? Would this make it more stable?
I don't use 3rd party plugs in my live set because of stability.. Even though I think this has been improved upon, its just a fear when playing out!

Other than workflow, what are the good features of it that make it worth it to you?

Thanks in advance! 8)
Lem
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Considering getting Maschine

Post by jackbrazzo »

How about a DSI Tempest instead?

Got a Synth and a wicked drummer all in one...
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Nah way mate, its way way way outside my budget...
I'm just after a groovebox, if I was going to spend £1000 it would be on modules...
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

max for live with monome not doing it for you?

For me it didn't work that well as a musical system... i ended up with loads of system downtime if I wanted to try out a new idea while i built the patch.

the integration of audio stuff and system (you know the non musical triggers/bang/data handling side) was quite wierd as well. If you built a sequencer at audio rate you couldn't really mix with data stuff very easily. And often the data side was the easiest way to do fun sequencing, like counting etc.

If you've got the patience and the ability max will go as deep as you could possibly imagine, and you can make the interface as customized for you as you like.

I ended up ditching it though and built my perfect patch using hardware and my whole music has changed radically.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Yeah maxforlive is sweet, but its too time consuming to make something like maschine in it. I do just want to make music.
The monome is ace aswell, but really I need one that has at least 16 buttons per row to get the full X0X experience out of it.

I use the tr256 from stretta atm, its good, but there are just certain features I wish it had to create more variation with it.

My live set is already starting to get a little bit cluttered, it would be nice to just use ableton for the synths+Fx and then have something else for beats. That means I can make the synths a little bit more complex without it getting too confusing..

I would be making all this out of hardware, but it would cost me thousands to recreate... I just don't have that kinda money to spend on music equipment anymore. £300 is about the max i can get away with...
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

My Plan is Ableton live\Tempest\Boss Digital delay\Boss Flanger\Electribe.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Tbh, I would prefer to do it all within Ableton plus my two midi controllers. I had the pleasure of playing at an event with enough room for 2 CDJ's, 2 1210's, Mixer and then laptops etc... Although I'm not normally so lucky.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

jackbrazzo wrote:My Plan is Ableton live\Tempest\Boss Digital delay\Boss Flanger\Electribe.
forget the boss delay and flangers. do some research and you will find a lot better ones for the same sort of money.

the mxr carbon copy is a good place to start looking.