Sidechaining

- ask away
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Sidechaining

Post by eggnchips »

Side Chaining is a touchy subject to comment on as it's like Marmite, you hate it or you love it.
It received lots of bad press by the purists when Ableton introduced it with 8 and everybody started to side chain. Nonetheless many of the big guns around in techno today are not only using it, but also well and truly abusing it - in a good way. I'm into all the deep, atmospheric stuff such as Perc, Ancient Methods, Phase, Truncate, etc etc, and I hear side chaining being used throughout.
Today's electro house pop music is also riddled with it.

I think most of us would say experiment with it, use your ears and see how it fits in to your own music.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

lem wrote:Well, it depends what velocity is modulating... If its just amplitude, you will get a better result as you are controlling the problem at the source. Not just trying to sort it out after.
At least this is my experience.

I agree it can take a lot of time. But nothing worth doing comes easy ;)
or you can just use a plugin to vary velocity automatically in a range you specify, that works quite well

as for sidechaining, it's on almost every release in dance for years cause it sounds awesome when you do it right. most people have bad luck with sidechain either from latency or they use the wrong compression mode
thasim1
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thasim1 »

what compression mode is the best to use when sidechaining?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i'm a velocity and envelope man.
no side chaining for me. its like egg and chips says 'its marmite', i dont like the effect, sick of hearing it.

i dont find using velocity templates takes much time at all
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

thasim1 wrote:what compression mode is the best to use when sidechaining?
What do you mean "compression mode"? Are you referring to a specific compressor?

If you happen to be talking about Ableton Live's built in compressor then I always use FF1 rather than FF2. If you listen closely FF2 has an annoying click.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

if you would have understood what sidechain is for, you wouldn't ask yourself such questions.

it not that you need sidechain in every track, a lot depends on sound design, arrangment, programming.