Hot to make this trendy house gangster bass line and lead

- ask away
daniohx
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Hot to make this trendy house gangster bass line and lead

Post by daniohx »

Lately I've been interested in soundz like this 1. It sounds simple but haven't come near it. Very trendy sounds lately in the hip housey side.

Bassline and lead are cool anyone might guide me the right way
perhaps a preset to see the parameters and learn from there.
Sylenth1, Minimoog, Albino, are my main synths

Thanks and here is the track. I know you guys are PROS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhBLd0URG4k
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Hot to make this trendy house gangster bass line and lea

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

The lead sound is not hard to get. If we are talking about the same sound. That old 90's gangster rap sound. Take just about any synth with a smooth sound and set it up so that when the notes are played they flow from one frequency into the other. I dont' know what kind of hard/software you are using but the musical term for linked notes like that is 'legato'. Some synths have a setting you can enable that gives that effect. I don't know about the bass is in terms of specific wave forms but it sounds like a fairly general type of sound you might find in a synth preset except the ADSR has been fiddled with a bit. It has a somewhat slow release for a bass note.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

that bass is a really classic 2 oscillator subtractive monophonic sound, play around with any of the synths mentioned and you should do alright. the envelope is controlling the cutoff frequency of the filter to make the sound punchy. The track might be using a proper analogue machine but you should get some passable results using software.

the lead is like mentioned, using a lot of legato, or portmanteau or glide, whatever you want to call it. Simple 1 oscillator monophonic synth. There is some movement of the filter, maybe from automation or maybe from an lfo or slow envelope. The notes are played in with an arpeggiator and some automation controlling the arpeggiator parameters I reckon (or it might be played live on actual keys). There is also some reverb on this sound and there is a little resonance on the filter.
daniohx
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by daniohx »

Thanks for the hints. perhaps a more close approach, the similar paramaters and types of waves used.

or a preset for any of the synths above, i use live 8 and with that it will be easier to defrag the sound with a preset and mess with it. thanks
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

would you like me to wipe your arse for you as well?

jesus christ
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

honestly mate, you're not going to get anywhere if you get advice on how to make a sound from people who know what they're talking about and you ask for a preset instead.

you need a fucking inch of self motivation and also gratitude... if I got advice from people who were kind enough to help you out I would try and listen to what they were saying.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

daniohx wrote:........or a preset for any of the synths above
I'm pretty supprised you can't seem to find a similar preset on any of those synths...
...we arn't really that kind of community here. I (and I think almost everyone else) try to make our own sound. Intentionally copying synth sounds was a massive waste of my time... These days I might happen across a sound I have heard before, if it works then I use it! But I never set out to create a sound already out there....