optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re-Compose "Liquid Notes"

Post by optX »

Hey mates,

has anybody tried this software?

http://www.re-compose.com/liquid-notes.html

I know this and that about chord progression and even harmony analysis but often don`t have the constancy to write progressions/alternations/cadenzas for a whole track. Added to this I love random results so I think this software could be useful.

What do you guys think about something like this? Does this software give you pleasing results? Or on the other hand : Do you think it`s something like cheating when a machine tells you how to alter chord progressions and stuff like that?

Gonna download the demo today and give it a try!
Direkt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Re-Compose "Liquid Notes"

Post by Direkt »

You can actually achieve the same results using Live's chord and scale devices (Add beat repeat for random results). I don't see the need for such software. And wow, it's *only* 140 euros. half my wage.
bam
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

You could just learn the circle of fifths in an afternoon for free. There might something of interest in terms of chord substitutions etc but my guess is that they'd be geared towards a harmonic structure that may or may not be satisfactory for the type of music we make. But that's a guess and besides, you only have to use it for ideas, not to write a song like structure.

Nothing is cheating in music, it's all learning and moving forward, people copy other people or get inspired by other peoples music etc, chord progressions and shapes are re-cycled, re-used, it means nothing. The end result is what it's all about. I have a few books which contain a lot of ideas for chords, cadences, substitutions, non diatonic chords etc etc and even song books from guys like Pink Flloyd, Radiohead, Boards Of Canada etc and I often catch some interesting stuff that I try out from those as it serves as a source of inspiration to me.

I don't know anything about this liquid notes but if you're not familiar with the circle of fifths, definitely learn that as it would help massively for the stuff you are on about. :)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I agree with Ak, nothing is really cheating. Everything is there for you to use as you like, but ultimately the end result is important and if you didn't add anything yourself to the mix then it's not really music imo.

I would much rather find my own ways to add harmony. If you're looking for new ideas then maybe try some different ways to work, such as starting out with a certain harmonic progression or chord base for a track, then add an element to compliment it, and then take the original element out. Maybe repeat that process many times.

With me I feel much happier finding my own way. The fact that there are only 12 notes in an octave is already doing a lot of the work for you and I find it easy to get the notes that I want.
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by optX »

thank`s for your replys and nice tipps!

Yeah, I know the fifth circle... my method so far is to pick out 2 or 3 chords and make a melody around their notes and alter it or add tension notes here and there. But it takes me so long if I wanna do it "right"... Or better said to please my own idea of what`s "good".

Ok, I just explained it to myself : Exercising and it will go faster.