So I bought an Electribe Sx

- ask away
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

So I bought an Electribe Sx

Post by blizt »

Decided to buy an Electribe Sx on ebay. It's second hand but the prices was ok, and really wanted to finally have a drum machine to help my production get more a live feel to it. I basically bought this for the price and also for not being the typical machine with 808/909 style samples (you already can load them if you want anyway).

I really like it. Very funny machine. Very easy to start making cool stuff, and loving the modulations and effects so far.

The problem I'm facing is the hiss sound. I know this is a common problem from these korg boxes. When I'm playing live I almost forget about it, but when I record stuff and hear after it's very noticeable and if it pump the volume up it's even worse.

Has anyone with an electribe solved that issue?
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: So I bought an Electribe Sx

Post by blizt »

I'm using a normal setup: laptop + external soundcard + monitor.
I will look into the cables. I read replacing the tubes also help.
Alex Bizzaro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alex Bizzaro »

have you tried with a gate?
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

They are horribly noisey, you can tweak a few things but in the end you just have to live with it.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

I'm using an old card I bought five years ago, mixvibes or something like that (needs an upgrade probably as I'm starting to get more hardware). But I dont think this is the problem because I been recording an external synth like the Dave Smith Evolver without that huge amount of hiss.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

that problem is caused for a big part by the valve amp inside the unit. you can replace it with a proper valve, not only to get rid of some of the noise, but also to make it bang. a friend did this to his esx, liked the sound a lot...
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

Absolutely replace the tubes. Go the Korg forums and there is info there on where/what to get. The mod takes 5 minutes and it helps the sound immensely. The noise will be gone.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

My EMX1 mk 2 was noisy, it's just the way they are. Unless it's actually something worse than what the norm is, no point changing anything. They're all the same. As soon as you switch em on, there's a bit of hiss. Never bothered me, my MD does it too.