Idea for a sampling plugin

- ask away
Dektro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Idea for a sampling plugin

Post by Dektro »

I need your thoughts on an idea for my master thesis in electronics. I want to make a plugin that loads in a given audio file and automatically chops it in pieces with the same tone. The pieces are then mapped according to the notes of a keyboard, so you can play the samples like a normal instrument. The mod wheel can be used to select a different sample for each note while playing. The program does not pitch up or down the samples, each note on the keyboard has a some samples that naturally have the same tone.

My questions are:
- Would this be a useful program for making music intuitively?
- Maybe such a similar program already exist, have you seen anything like this?

I hope I explained my idea clearly.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Idea for a sampling plugin

Post by lem »

Lots of software has the ability to slice audio and map it across a keyboard.

I think the most advanced is Melodyn DNA. That can actually seperate notes from a chord and allow you to re-pitch, alter the timing and many other things polyphonically. Amazing piece of coding imo.

You should probably look into that a bit...

Good luck with your thesis!
Dektro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Dektro »

Yeah I know melodyne, its very powerful software, but it isn't quite the same, right?
If you would want to do the thing I suggested you have to analyse the audio fragment with melodyne, look for when a certain note appears, slice the audio at that moment and map it to a keyboard. You would have to do this for each sample individually. The program I want to make just takes an audio file, analyses it and maps it automatically so you can play instantly. Or maybe I oversaw a function of melodyne? Didn't quite use it that much yet.
styyn
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by styyn »

don't know if i understand you correctly, but the simpler in ableton can do it. you load in an audio file and you can play the file on different pitches within the piano roll.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

Not totally sure I understand either.

Are you saying that your program will chop the sample AND ORGANIZE the bits on the keyboard automatically according to their root note (tone)?

So it would assign keys, not in chronological order, but in ascending/descending order of tone?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I don't understand it. How is it different to recycle? It sounds like its something different but your going to have to explain those differences better.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Dektro wrote:I need your thoughts on an idea for my master thesis in electronics. I want to make a plugin that loads in a given audio file and automatically chops it in pieces with the same tone. The pieces are then mapped according to the notes of a keyboard, so you can play the samples like a normal instrument. The mod wheel can be used to select a different sample for each note while playing. The program does not pitch up or down the samples, each note on the keyboard has a some samples that naturally have the same tone.

My questions are:
- Would this be a useful program for making music intuitively?
- Maybe such a similar program already exist, have you seen anything like this?

I hope I explained my idea clearly.

I am not quite sure what you mean either. Do you wish to chop a given bit of audio and have it automatically mapped chromatically across a keyboard range? It reads like that but then you say it doesn't pitch the sample up or down - which is confusing because how then can it be mapped across a keyboard range?

I don't understand, could you explain a bit further please? :)
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

it's a cool idea, im taking it that you mean after analyzed the sample would be mapped to the corresponding key on the keyboard relative to the samples root note.

programming the mapping part wouldn't be a challenge at all, but the audio analysis itself is probably harder

at the most basic level i would start by writing something that would specify ranges for frequencies of all the notes on the piano roll so the program will know which keys to map to as soon as those numbers are delivered. so you would want to start with that template and then write something that will analyze the audio for the loudest/lowest pitch and deliver those numbers to the mapping template you specified...

i feel like it would almost be easier to just do this manually with an analyzer and ableton drum racks