mixing-plugins//-hardware & crispy sound

- ask away
hNRk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

mixing-plugins//-hardware & crispy sound

Post by hNRk »

hey!

i just recently discovered the psp vintage warmer 2 and i found when used in a subtle way it leads to more crispiness and warmth in the sound. i now use it on alot of elements, but just a litte bit. the sum of all these tiny bits adds up to a fuller sound.

what plugins do you use for a full, warm and crispy sound?

what hardware do you use for a full, warm and crispy sound?

in terms of hardware, i am considering buying an aural exciter. can anyone advice a good one?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: mixing-plugins//-hardware & crispy sound

Post by tone-def »

I think using vintage warmer on everything, even just a little bit makes everything muddy. I'm not sure if I really like it. I find PSP Oldtimer more useful.

I think most of the magic comes from the synths. In software FXpansion do a really good job.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I use Logic's exciter from time to time when I need a little more high end presence on something. Works great for my needs. I wouldn't characterize it as adding any fullness or warmth though. I generally think of warmth as being the opposite of what an exciter does.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Slate vcc, Sonimus Satson. Are bomb for mixing.

Another would be fabfilter Saturn.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by optX »

+1 on Satson and Slate VCC.

I sometimes use the Waves Aural Exciter which can do the trick. I do like the PSP Vintage Warmer 2 too.

A very nice hardware for warming up synths and bringing them to life is the A-Design Pacifica (Mic Preamp).
hNRk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hNRk »

optX wrote:A very nice hardware for warming up synths and bringing them to life is the A-Design Pacifica (Mic Preamp).
its a quite expensive peace of equipment. do you use it yourself? and is it really worth 1,700 €?
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by optX »

I don`t own it myself but I always borrow it from a friend when I do some band recording - I mainly use it for tracking with microphones.

But I always try to send some of my software synths through this gear if I have enough spare time and it`s a pleasure hearing the results. Always "pad in" so you can drive the gain much higher where the nice sound occurs.

But no, I wouldn`t mind spending so much money just for tracking synths via the DI injects =)
I don`t know if it`s worth the money... Some guys would say you get 2 mic pres and 2 DI and when you break it down you "just" have to spend 400 on each of that feature. If you are tracking with microphones or tracking guitars, synth, basses and so on very often then I think it can be worth the money.
However, I am happy that I can borrow this unit because it`s way out of my financial possibilities to buy a 2channel mic pre which costs so much money.

------------------------------------

I am using a hardware filter very often, the Jomox M-Resonator. It`s pretty "cheap" and nice sounding. You can use it in a very conservative way just for thickening/warming up your digital synths. But of course it`s coloring the sound and it`s not intended to be a synth-saturation =)
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

works like a charm :)