How do DJ's prefer the arrangement in house/tech tracks?

- ask away
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: How do DJ's prefer the arrangement in house/tech tracks?

Post by Themis »

omnipresence wrote:
Phase Ghost wrote:Starting on an offbeat is the most annoying thing a producer can do. You need to give a dj something to mix from. If you're staring a tune with a more ambient intro, that's fine, but when the beat kicks in, start it on the 1st beat.
Sure, it can be frustrating but if you have a tune that you know is like this why not start mixing it from the point where it's on beat? Or skip forward for a bit to work out where the offbeat sits and then cue it from the start appropriately? I don't think producers should have to overly cater for DJs.
no they dont have to, but thats not the question here. the question is : what arrangement do DJs like?

no one forces producers to cater to DJs :)
omnipresence
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by omnipresence »

Themis wrote:no they dont have to, but thats not the question here. the question is : what arrangement do DJs like?
Touché!
loulou
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loulou »

Thanks for all the advices. Definitely something i could use! Anymore tips are more than welcome!

I don't see it as catering the DJ but obviously the sound of my tracks are way more club-ish than they are home listening tracks and want to "optimize" them for this purpose or else they probably won't go elsewhere but on my hard drive..

Once again thank you..
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

omnipresence wrote:]Sure, it can be frustrating but if you have a tune that you know is like this why not start mixing it from the point where it's on beat?.
Because I don't know where it starts is what I'm saying. It's starts normally like any tune and sounds like it's looping on beat, but by the time you start to mix in the kick drum (which doesn't come on until a minute in the tune) it's off. If something starts on the third beat, with say, a hi-hat, it's easy to mix. But, this tune starts on like 6 or some sh!t. It's just stupid.

Of course you don't have to cater to anyone with your music. However, if you're making a tune that you intend to be mixed by dj's (which is 99% of house and techno), give em' a bone. It can be the most faint sound or whatever, but for fck's sake, make it on beat. Even the most washed out ambient techno in my collection has something to mix to.
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

Personally, I like songs that start on the offbeat, it gives me satisfaction to press play at the right moment. If it is too crazy for me to do this reliably, I just make a little metronome intro using Ableton.

I also get satisfaction from the fact that some DJs might not play these tracks because of the offbeat intro, and others may play the track but screw up the mix, because they don't know the song well enough.

Short tracks are good for me, I can just loop a section in Ableton and export my longer version. Again, I'm happy to do this, in the knowledge that my version is unique, and some DJs just won't bother.

I like a variety of structures . . . you should just go for whatever you think sounds best to you. If you make a good intro, that starts on the offbeat (because it sounds good) then I can use it as the first song in a mix. Don't extend the outro, or extend any part just to cater to someone else - if I listen to the preview on beatport and it sounds interesting, I'll be annoyed when it's not interesting, it's just been extended for DJs.

Unusual structures encouraged here.

One thing I will mention that's maybe a bit obvious:
No tempo changes plz. Stefan Goldmann's "Yes to all" tune speeds up in the first two minutes, so annoying haha.

Also, if possible, make the tempo an exact number, like 124 or whatever. Lots of Robag Wruhme's tunes are 124.01, and it bugs me.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

hairblz wrote:
One thing I will mention that's maybe a bit obvious:
No tempo changes plz. Stefan Goldmann's "Yes to all" tune speeds up in the first two minutes, so annoying haha.

Also, if possible, make the tempo an exact number, like 124 or whatever. Lots of Robag Wruhme's tunes are 124.01, and it bugs me.
I have a Omar S track that slows down the last few mins. Worst idea ever. Its impossible to play out because of this.

Why would a .01 tempo be annoying? Is it harder to warp when its like that?

I play vinyl so dont have to worry about things like that.
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

ray parry wrote: Why would a .01 tempo be annoying? Is it harder to warp when its like that?
Yeah, I find it much harder to beatmatch them, got to constantly be nudging
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I'm going to start doing tracks at 1xx.01 bpm.