Hardware bass synths

- ask away
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Hardware bass synths

Post by sorgenkind »

the pulse 2 *could* be something nice, if they manage to have a fully functional OS -which is unfortunately not always the case with waldorf. It should come out this summer.
I sometimes miss the pulse I sold some years ago, even if I have a sh-101 for most of my bass sounds.
oh well, the 101 is such a nice synth... arpeggio, funny sequencer, fantastic filter.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

sorgenkind if you really do miss the pulse, I would be willing to swap mine for your sh101. ;)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

ghostmartyr wrote:Allow me to give a couple of suggestions.

You can use the Juno 6 / 60 / 106 for great bass sounds as well as Pads. It is essentially a Poly synth but you can stack all 6 voices and get a very big mono synth sound. Then there is the chorus, which isn't great if you are looking to press your tune to vinyl, but mix a mono signal and the stereo signal of your Juno bass and you have a bass sound like no other.

Also, the DSI Mopho (preferably the Keyboard version) is great for bass as well as leads and effects and all sorts of crazy sounds. With the Mopho you get 2 Oscillators each with their own sub octave and a tasty Curtis 4 pole Filter. The Oscillators are DCO's which means you have an Analogue oscillator which will not need tuning. This is something that happens with most of the synths mentioned, if not all. Basically the Mopho is about the same price as an SH101 and you have Midi and a lot more functionality... including 4 LFO's and Modulators... oh and a sequencer... and an arpeggiator... and so much more. Have a look for yourself. It can sound great!

Probably worth looking at the Waldorf pulse too... that is pretty tasty.

i hope this is of help.

:o)
There's a specific square bass with chorus that has been used on loads of House records in years gone by. Quite an old skool sound but I really like it. I believe those original tracks tended to be Juno's doing the bass?
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

[quote="AK]
There's a specific square bass with chorus that has been used on loads of House records in years gone by. Quite an old skool sound but I really like it. I believe those original tracks tended to be Juno's doing the bass?[/quote]

You mean the Larry Heard -type of bass? That's a Juno 6/60 as far as I know.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Barfunkel wrote:[quote="AK]
There's a specific square bass with chorus that has been used on loads of House records in years gone by. Quite an old skool sound but I really like it. I believe those original tracks tended to be Juno's doing the bass?
You mean the Larry Heard -type of bass? That's a Juno 6/60 as far as I know.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

yeah it is.

love that sound. I think legowelt uses it all the time as well.

AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Hunee - Took My Love is something that springs to my mind for some reason. Bass comes in at 1:05.

I like the 101's square bass sound as well which you can either use the sub osc or the single pulse set to a square, has a really nice bouncy vibe to it. Obviously doesn't have a built in chorus butthe raw sound is nice.

What about FM sources. I'm pretty sure I have heard that sound on FM synths too.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

that bass on that hunee track is so nice

just in case anyone wants that sound, but doesnt have a juno... it can be created with ease using the tal juno vsti.

the pulse can do a nice square wave with the pw, but the tone isnt as nice as the juno or 101.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

ray parry wrote:that bass on that hunee track is so nice

just in case anyone wants that sound, but doesnt have a juno... it can be created with ease using the tal juno vsti.

the pulse can do a nice square wave with the pw, but the tone isnt as nice as the juno or 101.
To be honest, I bet you could get perfectly adequate results using a lot of things. Software wise, a single square/pulse set to a square would suffice. It doesn't have to be juno-like but anything with a decent sound should do the trick. Personally, I'd duplicate the part, and add chorus on the copy with a hp filter but that's just me. I do prefer centralised low frequencies. It's a very easy sound to do, no doubt some things do a better job than others though.