marcel dettmann bass

- ask away
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: marcel dettmann bass

Post by Kleig »

Yes, it's completely true that everybody has their own way of doing things. It's all good if you want a sound that doesn't have effects obstructing it. But the thing is, that I was giving him advice on how to do one particular type of sound and if you really want to do a sound with truth in it, you can't just go "Oh well, I don't really like this that much but I want that sound so I'll try it here then." You need to live the sound. You need to adopt the mindset that the synth's output is like a punching bag you want to demolish with effects if you want to do the 'Berghain' sound.

There's a bunch of reverb on some 90's kicks, but I don't know a song with a huge reverb. Take Jeff Mills' Jerical, it has a pretty basic 90's kick verb on it, but it is by no means a huge rumble. I mean, just compare that verb to the one on Subzero.

Last edited by Kleig on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

to get this nerdy talk to an end....personally i think,the REGIS track i postet comes very close to O-Ton stuff in sound aesthetic...of course it's faster and not that stripped down like dettmann,klock etc...but i'm pretty sure that these O-Ton guys were listening to exactly this kind of techno and shaped it now to "their" sound...but only because they put EVEN MORE reverb on the kick doesn't mean that this is something new...

don't get the hype around Berghain and especially the "Berghain Techno"...i'm not impressed in any way because i'm listening to this kind of techno since the early 90's and don't know what's soooo new in that sound...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

why did i get sucked into this
(*)
Last edited by steevio on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

What does it matter if one track has more or less of something? Isn't that how music evolves? Things become more extreme as time goes on. Look at the loudness war, look at dubstep wobble bass, breakcore amen chopping. People get into pissing contests to have the most extreme sound because they think it's better.
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kleig »

I can hear reverb on a lot of elements in the clip you posted, but I can't hear that much on the kick. The layout of the effects sounds a bit like on 5.7 Litre.

It's not just about someone trying to turn their reverb up. It's about making something with it. You can't have a reverb that huge with as much action as a lot of 90's Techno had. It needs its own space.

Regis definitely has the same aesthetic in the track you linked and he's still making some great music. The Berghain sound is a direct descendant of what was happening in the 90's.
tone-def wrote:What does it matter if one track has more or less of something? Isn't that how music evolves?
You're totally on point with the second remark. That's how things evolve. It matters, because it's what sets things apart. When you crate a sum of slightly different parts, even if it was just you using a huge reverb or bit crush on something, those parts will come together to create a new type of experience.
Last edited by Kleig on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

(*)
Last edited by steevio on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kleig »

In that case, I was completely wrong. I was being delusional about this whole ordeal. I was having a really sh!t time in life at the time and it got the best of me when I was writing.

I'm honestly sorry for being a pain in the buttocks.
Last edited by Kleig on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 16 times in total.
dibango
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dibango »

(OP here)

the hat on corebox is quite rhythmic and dynamic.

any idea how he did that?