how do you create that deep vocal effect?

- ask away
shubelo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: how do you create that deep vocal effect?

Post by shubelo »

AK wrote:Audio Damage Discord 3 is well capable. Not just on vox either, cool plug!
That looks cool, do you think the producer of this track used a plugin like this in a DAW to manipulate the vocals?

I couldn't see someone using Melodyne to do this when putting a track together.
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kleig »

To get the Time For Us style vocals: Don't use a plugin to pitch the vocals. Take the vocal track, duplicate it in as many parts as you feel comfy with and mess around with the pitch without changing the tempo of the selected track. Aside from this what matters is if you have good microphone/space to record it and if you have good sounding delay/reverb units. Also, be very careful on how the vocal tracks are pitched. If you pitch some of the duplicates too high or low in relation to the others, or if you have too many duplicates of the vocal track, it will start sounding like a Minus track from the year 2008 pretty much instantly.
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kleig »

shubelo wrote:
AK wrote:Audio Damage Discord 3 is well capable. Not just on vox either, cool plug!
That looks cool, do you think the producer of this track used a plugin like this in a DAW to manipulate the vocals?

Use a sampling program that can slice the vocal sample into many parts and alter the pitch of each individual slice as well as the pitch of all the slices at the same time. You should pan these in different places to achieve the wider stereo effect. Mess with the pitches until it feels right to you. Then put it through a reverb, a low pass filter automation and a pitch automation.

Either way, the key is finding a good vocal to sample. Don't limit yourself to old Soul vocals and stuff like that. A lot of songs that sound crappy as a whole can have some amazing seconds to snip for your sample and that's how you find original stuff. When you look for the sample, completely stop looking at the big picture of the song, focus on the vocals and imagine if you could use one word that sounded nice in your own song. Every vocal gains completely new characteristics when you take the fitting few seconds, then stretch and pitch them to your liking.
shubelo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by shubelo »

Kleig wrote:
shubelo wrote:

Use a sampling program that can slice the vocal sample into many parts and alter the pitch of each individual slice as well as the pitch of all the slices at the same time. You should pan these in different places to achieve the wider stereo effect. Mess with the pitches until it feels right to you. Then put it through a reverb, a low pass filter automation and a pitch automation.

Either way, the key is finding a good vocal to sample. Don't limit yourself to old Soul vocals and stuff like that. A lot of songs that sound crappy as a whole can have some amazing seconds to snip for your sample and that's how you find original stuff. When you look for the sample, completely stop looking at the big picture of the song, focus on the vocals and imagine if you could use one word that sounded nice in your own song. Every vocal gains completely new characteristics when you take the fitting few seconds, then stretch and pitch them to your liking.

That sounds good, though. Im not quite sure what sampler/sampling program will allow this. Do you know of any that will do this?

Thanks, Feels like I'm getting somewhere
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kleig »

mimu.eu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mimu.eu »

about the first y'tube-clip of nicolas jaar:
i created a pretty similar effect with this method: first of all the vocal simply got pitched down, for sure and no doubts about that. to create that lil' weird synthetic sound i can recommend any kind of pitch-shifting-plugin, but here's the trick: pitch down the original vocal like up to 12 notes and _then_ use a plugin (like waves soundshifter) to pitch the vocal up, like 5 or 7 notes. antares' 'throat' for sure could do the trick as well even you have to gently use the parameters to avoid too many artefacts. so: and finally the sound gets that lil' weird and slightly robotic touch. to make the vocals harmonies fit better into the tune and enhance that slightly robotic feeling then i use izotopes nectars auto-pitch-correction which is indeed similar to the classic autotune but a lil' bit more subtle. so quickly the vocal gets that kind of that very slightly and pretty subtle synthetic sound as you can hear in nicolas tune. 'the mouth' as the reaktor-ensemble might do the trick as well. often i add then a de-esser to avoid fizzling. finally using a simple chorus - even ableton lives included one does the trick - spreads the signal. or: with a high budget there are other plugins like the 'waves s1 stereo imager' which also spreads the stereo-signal without adding that chorus-sound. finally a lil' limiter helps gaining a linear level. so, as a conclusion: that chain of these methods finally comes extremly close to what it sounds like in nicolas tune.