Literature on Mixing and Mastering

- ask away
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Literature on Mixing and Mastering

Post by Kleig »

Hi! I'd be interested in reading a few good books on mixing and mastering, preferably specifically for EDM. If you know something you'd like to recommend, I'd really appreciate your input. :)

P.S. Articles are also more than welcome.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Literature on Mixing and Mastering

Post by eggnchips »

This is a well used article:
http://tarekith.com/assets/mixdowns.html
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kleig »

Thanks mate! Been reading it for a bit and it's awesome so far.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Yeah Tarekith has some read-worthy stuff for sure. He used to be on the Breakbeat scene a lot, ( might well be for I know ) and his advice was cool then. So it's anybody's guess how much he's learned over the last 5 yrs or so. That said, I think he concerns himself more with ITB mixing/mastering, you should check out the whole shannanigan really.

I wouldnt read too much into mastering, It's a potentially complex subject and could cause too much distraction, I tried once and realised it was wasted energy. If you are producing music, put your energy into mixing, that's where the magic should be happening. I don't know of any books though, these days I feel less interested in books as there are so many articles out there, you just gotta sift through the crap or find ones written by respected mixing engineers not some dickhead on a forum who wrote a blog and doesn't know what he's on about.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I just went on amazon because of this thread. Damn, there's tons and tons of literature on music stuff. Think I might grab myself a decent book on harmony. Anyway, if it's mixing, just search on there and google the books that look good for reviews.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Pretty good article. Especially for beginners to mixing down electronic music. When it comes to the relationship between the kick drum and bass line, making sure they are tuned to each other is critical. In fact, i'd say it's the most important thing to get right in the mix. My mixes were like night and day after I got this part sorted out.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

I read this last year, definitely the best book on mixing I've read. It explains things really well in a way that helps you understand the fundamentals rather than quick recipes; I went through it slowly, taking notes and listening carefully to all the audio examples and trying things out with my own sounds/tunes and I definitely feel it's helped my mixing, I'm taking more care instead of randomly turning controls and hoping it helps which I'm sure we're all guilty of ;) a bonus is that the author seems to understand the needs of electronic and dance producers - traditionally a lot of these sort of books are aimed more at band/instrument recordings.

It's worth reading as much as you can, and practising of course, but I'd suggest that book for a solid start.

As for mastering (and general audio knowledge) I've heard Bob Katz - Mastering Audio is very good, it's on my to-buy list. I've not got many aspirations to be a mastering engineer but even then it's meant to be a very useful read.