Propellerhead Reason To Host 3rd Party Plugins?

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Propellerhead Reason To Host 3rd Party Plugins?

Post by tone-def »

I'm sure we will see things like that. I'm much more excited about stuff made especially for Reason with lots of routing options.
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

Have never used Reason (although hammerhead was my first sequencer haha) - shocked that it doesn't support midi out?!?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

mehta wrote:shocked that it doesn't support midi out?!?
why? i would expect anything else from a self contained music studio.
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

Maybe I don't quite "get" Reason or even the idea of a "self-contained" studio, but MIDI seems like such a basic aspect of computer music (since it is a an open-source, low-memory protocol which interfaces most discrete digital audio hardware) I just don't see why it wouldn't be included as a feature!

Not wanting to start a "daw vs. daw" debate but if you are hoping to incorporate hardware MIDI is very helpful!!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

mehta wrote:Maybe I don't quite "get" Reason or even the idea of a "self-contained" studio, but MIDI seems like such a basic aspect of computer music (since it is a an open-source, low-memory protocol which interfaces most discrete digital audio hardware) I just don't see why it wouldn't be included as a feature!

Not wanting to start a "daw vs. daw" debate but if you are hoping to incorporate hardware MIDI is very helpful!!

It is what it is. I don't think the 'daw' app applies to reason, it's a self contained 'environment' not a be all and end all. No good having midi out if you have no audio recirding. They got that now so it could well be a possibility. For me, Reason excells with its CV stuff and routing options. I just rewire to Ableton, basic stuff there but there's so much depth to reason when you know it. Awesome app imo!
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

AK wrote: It is what it is. I don't think the 'daw' app applies to reason, it's a self contained 'environment' not a be all and end all. No good having midi out if you have no audio recirding.
don't know... i think midi out could be useful even if it didn't have audio recording now. you could use it to send sync to other hardware or midi info to other hardware.

LIke mehta said, its pretty lame that they just left it out.
tone-def wrote:
:roll: propellerhead fanboy.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

hydrogen wrote:
AK wrote: It is what it is. I don't think the 'daw' app applies to reason, it's a self contained 'environment' not a be all and end all. No good having midi out if you have no audio recirding.
don't know... i think midi out could be useful even if it didn't have audio recording now. you could use it to send sync to other hardware or midi info to other hardware.

LIke mehta said, its pretty lame that they just left it out.
tone-def wrote:
:roll: propellerhead fanboy.
Well, to be honest mate, I thought it was pretty lame to hold a seminar to say they were doing a 3rd party 'vst thing'. I'm a big fan of reason myself and I don't need the stuff they are piling in but hey! One of my real fav things is the envelope type following via CV. Like rex up your beat/percussion or whatever, and then get a synth or NNXT to follow that envelope to whatever you see fit, filter/amp env, route on to something else etc. I just can't do that kinda thing elsewhere, if it's poss, I don't know about it. Loads of stuff like that is why I rate Reason.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

hydrogen wrote:
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:If you really want to get midi out of the program you could always try using rewire into a daw. If your daw can send midi out to your hardware then you should be good. I have never done it but I am guessing it would work.
yup... and then why would you use reason in this case? :D
Some people are perverse. They just enjoy overly complex technical endeavors. :D

If enough people request direct midi out they may introduce it, you never know. Now that recording is built into reason with the latest upgrade, it would make sense to have that ability at this point. Before if you were using outboard equipment and reason then you were probably already using reason rewired into a daw.

By the way, I watched a video about these rack extensions. You might want to skip to about 14 minutes into the video. The earlier stuff is just about some iPhone app junk. If you listen to the speakers reasons about the creation of REs it sounds promising. I like the idea of letting people from outside their company with their own particular areas of expertise in audio programming introduce new extensions.

http://www.propellerheads.se/news/rackextensions/

I think it sounds pretty cool. I really like that REs are going to be like other reason modules in the way that they can be automated and mapped to controls. One of the things that sucks about VSTs is their poor support for midi mappings and automation. I hope REs lead to a good selection of 3rd party plugins. I would like to see a wide variety of reverbs made available. I am not a huge fan of reason's reverbs. The advanced one is ok but it has a very distinctive sound and doesn't have that deep lushness I like in a reverb. I mean, its not bad, its just not great.

I am planning on getting this upgrade... I am way behind in versions but this release seems like its going to be worth it.