Your "studio"

- ask away
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Your "studio"

Post by simonb »

Having read some threads here recently that mentioned the subject, and also due to the fact that I'm looking to move home soon, I was wondering what sort of place you guys have your studios in?

Desk in your bedroom? Dedicated room in your house? Living room? Somewhere away from the house? Completely portable?

Currently my production and DJ gear is all in my living room, which mostly suits me fine as I live on my own and don't tend to watch TV etc when I'm at home. Before then when I lived in shared flats it was in my bedroom. It's kinda nice having a seperate bedroom just for sleeping now. I'm considering moving to a place with a second bedroom or study or something so I can have a studio/music room, not sure though as it obviously costs more and would no doubt encourage me to spend more on gear (never had room for a big mixing desk, hmmm), acoustics, etc... and raises the question of do I really need a living room, would be nice for friends coming over etc.

So what about you guys? Are you limited by space or do you think a dedicated room is important for the sake of treating acoustics, etc? Just curious to see what people are doing...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Your "studio"

Post by tone-def »

it's in a corner of my bedroom. it would be a decent size room for a studio but i've got so much sh!t in here i haven't even got space for monitors.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

My "studio" is the corner of the living room. No acoustic treatment, due to an opposing girlfriend. I wish we could afford a bigger apartment but the rents are pretty crazy in Finland.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

It's in my living room. My gf somehow thinks it's cool, as long as i keep it somehow tidy. However, since i started getting hardware it's become quite a harder job. Anyone has good tips for cable management?

Otherwise, i'd love to have a space dedicated to music, but the housing crisis here makes it virtually impossible or very very expensive.
It looked something like this at the end of the summer:
But now i changed the desk for something bigger and sturdier and added a few other bits, so there's a 19" rack half filled on the desk now too...
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ive always had a dedicated studio wherever i've lived since i started making electronic music, i wouldnt move anywhere unless there was a room suitable for a studio, infact it's the first thing i would consider.
i'm presently converting a 300 year old stone barn to live in and i'm building a purpose built studio room from scratch in there. its not going to be as big as i would like, but its bigger than anything ive had before.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

The entire upstairs in my house is one room and that's where all my gear is. Here's a pic I took last July. It looks pretty much the same now. I've got a dj station, tv/xbox setup and some guitars and sh!t up there as well.

hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

I used to have a bedroom setup or something similar to opuswerk... but then sh!t got out of control and my studio just started filling with gear. There is another room with all the dj equipment. Still I've got a 12x12. with a bump out... wish it was like 20x12. I would be much happier and could put all the dj equipment in here and an extra pair of monitors and maybe room for a couch. its kind of crammed in here.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
spire
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by spire »

will take pics in a while...