Re: zed 14

Post by tsankip »

Let us know what you think of the m12.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I think its my best purchase to date. how i ever lived without a desk is baffling. it might not have added much in terms of sound quality, but in terms of ease and control over my entire studio it wins. there are so many things on the desk that have now made my life much easier and i can now get back to making music without it being a hassle.

coming from software i found it really daunting, it took me the whole day yesterday to set it up and my stress levels went through the roof at some points. im still having problem getting the effects to record, and some other tiny problems that im sure ill work out in time, but it has been worth it.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

::BLM:: wrote:
coming from software i found it really daunting, it took me the whole day yesterday to set it up and my stress levels went through the roof at some points. im still having problem getting the effects to record, and some other tiny problems that im sure ill work out in time, but it has been worth it.
yeah, stress levels...
I redid the studio when my new racks finally came in last week. Took me 2 whole days to move everything into the new racks, color-code every goddamn cable, strap all my cables nice and tidy together, install the power conditioner,...
but it was well worth it !
The moment I got to finally testing it all, I was really reluctant,
I was scared to death I had made quite a few mistakes, but it turned out I only had one output connected to the phones out of my XV88 instead of the left output, a problem which was found back easily.
Anyways, in a few days, my midas should be arriving, and I'm stressing already... :lol:
The thing is, there's tons of options on that thing, and I don't want to be spending tons of money on cables only to find out later there were way more easy ways to do stuff.
It's the use of auxiliries and the matrix that leaves me a bit puzzled at times.
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

::BLM:: wrote:I think its my best purchase to date. how i ever lived without a desk is baffling. it might not have added much in terms of sound quality, but in terms of ease and control over my entire studio it wins. there are so many things on the desk that have now made my life much easier and i can now get back to making music without it being a hassle.

Could you tell us a little bit more about the mixer? Thinking about going down the same road in a couple of months so any insight would be much appreciated!
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

What would you like to know?

It's a pretty easy mixer to use. I have my synths going into the direct inputs and then out of the outs into each channel on my audiofire 12. I have a delay unit, which is hooked up to aux's. I'm not sure if its added anything in terms of sound quality (I have some friends that think it has) but I cant tell. I just like it because it gives me total control over my studio now.

I pretty much now just have Reason, but a hardware setup which is what I was aiming for.
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

Maybe some info regarding the eq section and the gains. How do you find it? Does it feel like pretty solid unit? Have you tried overriding the kick or other sounds for example? How does that sound? How many individual pedals can you hook up? Cheers!
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

tsankip wrote:Maybe some info regarding the eq section and the gains. How do you find it? Does it feel like pretty solid unit? Have you tried overriding the kick or other sounds for example? How does that sound? How many individual pedals can you hook up? Cheers!
Ok well I haven't really looked into the EQ section that much. They sound nice, but the software eq's I have give me more control and I guess I am so used to using them that I havent really delved too much into the eqs on the m12.

The unit is very solid. I am very heavy handed and I haven't broken anything. None of the pots crackle or anything like that.

The overdrive is quite nice. I run the mbase through it (although not much as I'm not so keen on the mbase) and it does have a sweet spot before it goes all crunchy and horrible.

It has 4 aux sends so you can have 4 pedals hooked up. There are various ways of setting up the desk so perhaps someone who has it set up a different way to me might say otherwise.

I think for the price I paid £180 you cant beat it. It has direct outs on each mono channel which I dont think a lot of consoles at this price point have.
devontodetroit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by devontodetroit »

Can someone post a picture of how they are working with just a patchbay and interface?

Ps, I'm thinking of floggin my 24:8 soundcraft desk for a Zed R16.. They look amazing!