new audio interface, any suggestions?

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: new audio interface, any suggestions?

Post by AK »

Well i have an external mixer which takes care of my hardware, I just need to get the audio in and for it to have a midi interface. I prefer the idea of having audio and midi on the same interface to avoid potential driver conflicts. From what I hear, it's the best approach but as for inputs and outputs, the more the merrier I guess even just for increasing options.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

You are right about it being best to have an interface with audio and midi. I didnt think this was because of drivers, but more due to sync.

I really don't know anything about usb interfaces other than usb is a less stable technology...
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I heard that was the case with usb 1, not so with usb 2 - which is faster than the original firewire. There seems to be a lot of options, I would like to get it sorted tomorrow or else it has to wait a week and that would drive me nuts.

Gonna have to do some checks and research I think and pretty bloody quick too.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

if your on PC USB is much more stable.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

AK wrote:I heard that was the case with usb 1, not so with usb 2 - which is faster than the original firewire.
This isnt quite true with audio I am afraid. You are not transfering a file, you are streaming live data. Firewire is a network connection and thus deals with live data much better. Usb2.0 might be faster on paper but doesnt handle errors in the same way as firewire.
Usb is tied to the system and software is needed to process the data, whereas firewire is handled by its own controller.

Are you sure there is no way to add firewire?
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

tone-def wrote:if your on PC USB is much more stable.
What really??
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

yeah theres a reason most PC's don't have firewire. it doesn't work.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

tone-def wrote:yeah theres a reason most PC's don't have firewire. it doesn't work.
if you do want to get it working, use a texas instruments based interface, makes a huge difference.

as for high noise floors on the usb; could be because your usb hub is damaged inside. for example on my old macbook i've used a emu midi usb that had a long plug. i've pushed the usb a bit too hard with that plug acting as a lever. you could move a connected usb plug a few millimeters to the left and right afterwards. the noise floor like tripled or something...