Techno Sample pack FREEBIE from Mattias Fridell

- ask away
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Techno Sample pack FREEBIE from Mattias Fridell

Post by Opuswerk »

I'd ask any time :)
Either he's as geeky as i am and will be glad to reply, or not. it's a 50/50 chance really ;)
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

lol - me too.

He's obviously a cool guy for doing it in the 1st place.. so theres a better chance of him communicating.

Sent him a message - so fingers crossed.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

cool, let's hope he replies.

Would actually be really cool if we could get some sort of Q&As like on the dogsonacid producer's forum. There's really a wealth of information to be found on those.

ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

Q&A sounds wicked man.. I like that. V.good idea for the future.

_

If he doesnt reply by next wednesday mate (after the NYE madness) - will you message him too? :D
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

wiil do ;)

CliftonFerry
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by CliftonFerry »

Bloody brilliant if he answer, kudos for sending him an email to check ICN :)
Hope he ain't a nutter!
Q & A section sounds cool. Lots of good info on this forum in general though, as a long time stalker I learned lots.
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

A certain someone called Mattias Fridell might have sent me a message.. :D

Maximum respect for this - he spent a bit of time doing this & its as detailed as we would have hoped. Its beyond actually what I would have expected. He's a very decent person. 8) 8) 8) 8)
hello

Very happy you like the samples, thanks. They're apparently pretty popular.
I'll gladly answer as good as I can, about half of these samples were cut from many of my previous productions when
I re-visited the tracks so I can't remember all of it I'm afraid. Would it be ok if I write it down and you copy it or something to the forum, I usually try
to avoid forums and similar . Soundcloud & Facebook takes enough time these days haha!

About the sub basses, the process I use is a method I go back to frequently when I produce:

I start with a kick drum (with a bit of decay cant be too short) playing 4 x 4 or 2 x 4 (or a rhythmic pattern, changing tone and pitch on the individual hits is nice also) then I send a Reverb or Delay (with a bit of modulation options) to the kick channel.
After that I make reverb channel mono and let the Kick slave the Send channel via a side-chained Gate effect. Playing with Pre-delay and Feedback timers as well as
diffusion and balance on the reverb is a good idea to get stuff moving and to start getting a groove out of it. The reverb follows the kicks tone and accent and it can be good to change the kick also to get some other results and go form there. Usually I tend to EQ away pretty much bass form the Kick & also cut away from of the muddy frequencies from the reverb. From here on I route both the kick channel and the reverb send channel to a sub / bus group channel and add a filter, (I personally like the Naive LPF Filter for this, it rounds transients and edges of very smooth and sounds fat & warm.) then low-pass the whole package to around 120-200 Hz, depends a little. If I get too much "kick" sound around 200 Hz or so I low pass a little more or adjust with envelopes or, if possible, adjust the attack of the kick drum and adjust the gain or level of the kick so it doesn't take too much space in the bassey package. So far so good. Now here comes the reason why I removed pretty much bass on the kick earlier, on the bus channel I add some insert effects. Like another EQ and Saturation tool to give the bass a new kind of tone or feeling, very often I like to use the Bootsy Nasty LP plugin for this since it got both EQ & Saturation. I boost somewhere between 40-130 Hz with the wide Q filter active and cut some bass if it sounds too much, and add the saturation by +6 dB or more depending what sounds right at the moment. Obviously it all depends on the kick and reverb used what kind of freqs sounds good to boost / cut and saturate but thats the gift of it. So now when I have myself a nice fat bass sound I wanna create some nice movement with it and might go back to the kick and reprogram its rhythm or behavior, as well as the reverb. I add the "real" kick drum that the track will contain and make the bass and kick fit well with each-other (sometimes it works good to add another gate to sidechain the bus channel which contains all the bass with the main kick) with EQ:ing or filters etc. Thats it....
Now you could probably just do this in a less messy way, like low-pass the send channel the reverb is on right away and stuff like that but I found that the way I do this you cut away the natural "boring" bottom end in the sounds and add some fat saturated harmonics sculptured with a nice low pass filter which fits very well with the type of kicks I like to use for my music.

Now theres many other ways I use to create bottom but this is the method I use mostly and in the sample pack its this method to 100%. You can also replace the kick with a synth bass playing short notes or long legatos but with an LFO that works on the cut-off to create slopes in the synth to give more room for the reverb. I used this for at-least one loop in the sample pack, its marked as MS20 bass or something.

Right I need to get back here but I hope that works for now, I'll comment on some of the other sounds in the pack later when I have time. In general for all my sounds I use in my music you can say that I use very much processing in a careful way if that makes sense? Haha. The source is nothing special, its the usual 909, 808 sounds and synths and other classic drum-machines. Today im very much in-the-box based, though I have some outboard i cant get rid of, like some Mackie mixers, Lexicon reverbs, Yamaha delays and synths, stuff like that. I don't use much compression, if any at all....I used to ride those compressors in my music but these days I often skip that and I find working more closely with filters, EQing and saturation on individual groups and channels appeals more to me.

Ok speak laters!

Best
Mattias
CliftonFerry
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by CliftonFerry »

Very interesting. Proper nice to get all this info, big thanks to Mattias and a big hug to ICN for the effort!