Anyone have a MFB 522 Drumcomputer?

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Anyone have a MFB 522 Drumcomputer?

Post by oblioblioblio »

I hate the really thin modules, I would much rather have a synth that invites me into using it.

I can understand the depth thing though, I got some new cases for my stuff which are the classic Gator type cases, they are almost 2 foot deep. Ouch!

I think lots of manufacturers are trying to sell stuff that will fit into Skiffs.

About SMD, I don't know how much the sound affects things. As long as you use the right components in the right places. All my Wiard filters are SMD apart from some chunky old school capacitors. Same goes with 2 plague Bearers. They all sound fine and massive and pretty etc.

Then again the Macbeth oscillator sounded like no other, same goes with the Blacet VCO, which sounds quite a lot bolder and fatter than the Malekko Wiard VCO which is the same core design as the Blacet one but SMD instead of thru hole. Hard to say the eaxct differences though.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

going to continue talking about this over in the modular thread
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

To....ugh....re-rail this thread. The 522's are back in stock at Analogue Haven. I'm half tempted to pick one up. I've always liked the sound of these. I just wish they weren't so tiny.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I wouldnt mind seeing its guts....
The size could be a good or bad thing. I was thinking of using it live....
ms500
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ms500 »

For me the MFB 522 is definatly worth the money. Admittedly the build is not the best but the sound is really nice. I don't think it stands up as a genuine 808 imitation but it has a certain warmth and character which I really like.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

ms500 wrote:For me the MFB 522 is definatly worth the money. Admittedly the build is not the best but the sound is really nice. I don't think it stands up as a genuine 808 imitation but it has a certain warmth and character which I really like.
Was it designed to emulate an 808? I thought it was just an analogue drum machine no?
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

AK wrote:
ms500 wrote:For me the MFB 522 is definatly worth the money. Admittedly the build is not the best but the sound is really nice. I don't think it stands up as a genuine 808 imitation but it has a certain warmth and character which I really like.
Was it designed to emulate an 808? I thought it was just an analogue drum machine no?
I had a play with one the other day and I'd definitely say it's trying to sound like an 808.

Sounded pretty good to me, I'd probably consider getting one if I had a spare £250 lying around, would be a nice analogue compliment to my Machinedrum. Kicks and claps sounded nice to me.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I have a lot of samples from it. No idea where they came from, got em off a mate along with a load of other analogue and digital drum machines and I do like the sound of it too.