Anyone have a MFB 522 Drumcomputer?

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Anyone have a MFB 522 Drumcomputer?

Post by ::BLM:: »

AK wrote:I have a lot of samples from it. No idea where they came from, got em off a mate along with a load of other analogue and digital drum machines and I do like the sound of it too.
sounds like you have the goldbaby tape collection.

are these ones in it?

RZ-1, TR-55, XD-5, MFB-522, DDM-110, DDM-220, DPM-48, RX-21L, R-100, ED-10, PB-300 and the DSM-1.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Might be the one then. There's tons more than that though but they're all in folders rather than titles like goldbaby etc. MFB-SCHLAGZWERG is another MFB one. I don't know much about these hardware units
EliasR
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by EliasR »

Sorry for restarting this thread but I've recently bought an MFB 522 and I love it.

It's my first piece of 'real' equipment and I have one question I didn't really find an answer for.
I'd like to sync the mfb to Ableton but I don't really know how to do it.
I have a tascam us 122 connected to ableton, so it has an midi out and in. When I connect the mfb via midi nothing shows up and it doesn't respond as well.

I also have a Korg Microkontrol which has an midi out and in, but I never really got to sync the tempo of that one with Ableton as well.

Thanks in advance!
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

EliasR wrote:..... I have one question I didn't really find an answer for.
I'd like to sync the mfb to Ableton but I don't really know how to do it....
If you go to the Ableton Midi preferences, look for your Tascam midi outputs and there should be a 3 boxes, 'Track', 'Sync' & 'Remote'
Highlight the Sync box so it turns yellow. Ableton will now send midi sync out of that port.. You must start the transport to see the effect and you might have to change settings on the MFB 522 to allow external sync, but some drum machines are set for external sync by default.

Hope this helps :)
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

yeah i have made a few tracks now with this drum machine. its cool, but the kick sounds a little flat i think.
EliasR
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by EliasR »

lem wrote: If you go to the Ableton Midi preferences, look for your Tascam midi outputs and there should be a 3 boxes, 'Track', 'Sync' & 'Remote'
Highlight the Sync box so it turns yellow. Ableton will now send midi sync out of that port.. You must start the transport to see the effect and you might have to change settings on the MFB 522 to allow external sync, but some drum machines are set for external sync by default.

Hope this helps :)
Thanks for the info, I did what you told me but there's not too much of a change. (The midi out light on my tascam doesn't light up, which it does when connected to the microkontrol)
So I guess it's because the mfb needs more of a real midi clock?

EDIT
Okay, I've found it, I forgot you have to press play while turning the MFB on to sync it via midi. Works like a charm now :)
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I've always wanted one of these. Analog haven had them in stock recently. Should have nabbed one when I had the chance. A sound module version sans the sequencer would be ideal for me.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Phase Ghost wrote:A sound module version sans the sequencer would be ideal for me.
You could put one together using their modules.