Good delays for Dub Techno. (ping pong 1/6th)

- ask away
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Good delays for Dub Techno. (ping pong 1/6th)

Post by ICN »

Nice one man.. thanks a lot.

My Space Echo is in the shop at the moment.. the reverb needs a bit of work by the looks.. cant wait to fck around with it when I get it back.

Good to know - Appreciate it 8)
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

One thing i noticed however is that if i send an instrument that is playing in sync, like the Machinedrum to an external audio fx, such as the Strymon or the Retroverb, there is a delay taht is impossible to compensate... Which kind of sucks. It doesn't happen when sending recorded audio or VSTs. I guess that's when i start to really need a mixer T_T
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Opuswerk wrote:One thing i noticed however is that if i send an instrument that is playing in sync, like the Machinedrum to an external audio fx, such as the Strymon or the Retroverb, there is a delay taht is impossible to compensate... Which kind of sucks. It doesn't happen when sending recorded audio or VSTs. I guess that's when i start to really need a mixer T_T
I guess its because Live has the audio and vst's pre-buffered, where-as the Audio In is coming into Ableton 'live'.

Could you delay the MachineDrum IN channel then send it to another channel as MachineDrum 'dry' OUT with a delay on it, to get it back in time, then have your send coming from the MachineDrum IN?
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

Yeah.. I havent ever used it in Live - but is there not some kind of delay compensation in its external effect plug?
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

The delay compensation works perfectly fine for VSTs and recorded audio channels. It's really a matter of setting the delay compensation right.
However, i was trying to use ableton as a ITB mixer, where the MD comes in an record armed channel and using the Live routing to send that channel both on my hardware fxs and to "virtual" ones too....
Maybe i'm missing something here, but it doesn't seem to work like i thought it should. But it does make some sense as to why it shouldn't, as the audio that is coming in the soundcard needs to be treated and then re-sent to the fx send output and back again. Which i suppose does double the delay ...
I guess i should start saving for a zed R16...

ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

I'm sure theres other ways to do it mate.. but do you use the external audio effect plug to route that stuff back into Live?
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Yeah i use the native external FX plugin to route to and from the exernal fxs, but the MD comes in a Audio track set to IN, rather than AUTO (hope that makes sense).

ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

and it still happens? Balls! (-)

Is it really noticable? Thats a shame man.