Would like to get those Techno Chords 'Detroit'

- ask away
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Would like to get those Techno Chords 'Detroit'

Post by eggnchips »

Hey chaps,
Please don't grill me for using the word 'Detroit' as I know you purist will start
of the old 'What actually is Detroit?' debate.
Anyway I would like to get those deep chords used in techno.
Style Frozen border etc. Drowned in reverb and whatever else.
Tips would be appreciated.
Thanks.
DeeperDub
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by DeeperDub »

hmmm, i think you're searching chords as they#re mentioned in this thread - maybe this will help you:

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... =deepchord
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Do you want to know the notes they're playing or how they make the sound synth wise?

Most of the chords are minor chords (minor 7th? sounds right) and as you already said, drowned in reverb.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

the chords can be any chord type. major or minor have great effect. adding a 7th, 9th or 13th gives interesting results. next, play any sequence of notes. transpose the same chord to each scale degree.

for example

C C# F (the bassline)

let's try a 9th chord.

for C9 we have the notes, C E G Bb D
then C#9, C# F G# B D#
then F9, F A C D# G

you want to play detroit chords? learn chord theory and the sky is the limit.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

michaellpenman wrote:http://www.zshare.net/download/823140721464ef55/

there is a live pack i made that contain a way to make the chord
Thanks Michael, this is great.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

michaellpenman wrote:no worries
I should have more faith in Abe's own instruments. Rarely touch Analogue
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Would like to get those Techno Chords 'Detroit'

Post by steevio »

eggnchips wrote:Hey chaps,
Please don't grill me for using the word 'Detroit' as I know you purist will start
Thanks.
mate, i'm going to react to this because i was the last person you had a go at, and i presume that means you think i'm a detroit purist, if you knew anything about me you'd know that wasnt true.
what is your problem ?
i only wanted to help you, and yet you went off on a rant just because i was trying to get information out of you about exactly the effects you were after.

in the post about Detroit Basslines, you list 2 UK artists and a German artist as your examples, and in this one you list one UK artist as an example of Detroit chords. how does that help ?

can you not see that if you want people to help you need to be more specific and accurate about exactly you mean. this is the only reason i said there is no such thing as a Detroit bassline, i was just stating a fact, its nothing to do with purism, the people on this forum are not elitists, purists or whatever and are always willing to help, but if you have an attitude when someone tries to help you, you'll find alot of people will just not make the effort.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Would like to get those Techno Chords 'Detroit'

Post by eggnchips »

steevio wrote:
eggnchips wrote:Hey chaps,
Thanks.
mate, i'm going to react to this because i was the last person you had a go at, and i presume that means you think i'm a detroit purist, if you knew anything about me you'd know that wasnt true.
what is your problem ?
i only wanted to help you, and yet you went off on a rant just because i was trying to get information out of you about exactly the effects you were after.

in the post about Detroit Basslines, you list 2 UK artists and a German artist as your examples, and in this one you list one UK artist as an example of Detroit chords. how does that help ?

can you not see that if you want people to help you need to be more specific and accurate about exactly you mean. this is the only reason i said there is no such thing as a Detroit bassline, i was just stating a fact, its nothing to do with purism, the people on this forum are not elitists, purists or whatever and are always willing to help, but if you have an attitude when someone tries to help you, you'll find alot of people will just not make the effort.
Wow that is a proper rant!

Hey I really appreciated your advice on the previous post. Thanks for that.
I just saw a post here once in which someone mentioned Detroit and they were blasted to death with arguments about how broad of a term 'Detroit' is.
True it is a really broad term to use though I presume most know what is meant by the statement.
I wrote that as I wanted an answer to my question and not a long debate and it worked.

Cheers