modular synthesis

- ask away
sherman
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sherman »

What are the cons of going with a semi-modular like the Future Retro XS or Analogue Solutions Telemark? Is my understanding correct, that you could get one of these, and a small rack to add filters, lfos and additional oscilators as needed? Is there a standard CV, or do systems take some trickery to work together? (e.g. doepfer <-> buchla)
-- sherman
widdly
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by widdly »

I built my own modular without spending a fortune. There are plenty of corners that can be cut that don't effect the sound or usability such as plastic panels and cases, perfboard, not too many knobs etc.etc. Definitely takes a lot of time and patience though.

It is cool idea to build a system one module at a time instead of buying a lot at once. The reason being if you are stuck with say a single VCO you will really get to know it back the front. When you add another module you will already have a load of ideas you want to try. By the time you have finished your system (as if that even happens) you will a much deeper understanding of the possibilities and you will have probably made better informed decisions along the way as to which modules you need.

If you are starting out with fewer modules it is worth thinking about modules that will help you integrate the system with your existing gear. Before I built my midi-cv converter, I used to generate a click track on my pc, then use a preamp and gate extractor to generate timing pulses for my modular. Here's an old video of this with the kick being software and the rest being driven from an analog sequencer..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVxFNUj2 ... re=channel I love 1/4" modulars because they integrate with your other gear so well if you have a patchbay.

My favourite module at the moment is the CGS digital noise module which can do the coolest 1v/oct pitched 8-bit style noise when clocked from a VCO.
widdly
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by widdly »

sherman wrote:What are the cons of going with a semi-modular like the Future Retro XS or Analogue Solutions Telemark? Is my understanding correct, that you could get one of these, and a small rack to add filters, lfos and additional oscilators as needed? Is there a standard CV, or do systems take some trickery to work together? (e.g. doepfer <-> buchla)
For the most part. Audio, ADSR's and LFO type signals will play happily between most systems and is usually scalable on the module inputs. The problem area is tuned CV's for setting the pitch of VCO's or VCF's. The common standard is 1v/Octave but Buchla is something differenct (1.6v/oct I think) and old korg and yamaha stuff uses 1v/Hz which is a pain. Also trigger and gate signals vary between systems but are usually easier to sort out. Most systems use 5v triggers and gates but for example old Moog stuff uses a negative signal.
ekwipt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ekwipt »

New software modular

http://www.acesynth.com/

oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Daemonix wrote:Im about to start bulding something myself! But Im going to start with DIY modules! Ill print my PCBs and do all the work myself! Its more fun and it will cost me round 70-80% LESS! :D
When I think about going modular I think I'm gonna save this hassle for some other people. It definitely seems to take a certain sort to be good at this kind of thing. (well, not saying that you don't have the skills, but i don't think it's for me)

I watched some intereviews with some of the guys like Cwejman and Macbeth, and they seem to be involved in some magical and dangerous life consuming love affair. I'll leave that part to the pros :)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

widdly wrote:I built my own modular without spending a fortune. There are plenty of corners that can be cut that don't effect the sound or usability such as plastic panels and cases, perfboard, not too many knobs etc.etc. Definitely takes a lot of time and patience though.

It is cool idea to build a system one module at a time instead of buying a lot at once. The reason being if you are stuck with say a single VCO you will really get to know it back the front. When you add another module you will already have a load of ideas you want to try. By the time you have finished your system (as if that even happens) you will a much deeper understanding of the possibilities and you will have probably made better informed decisions along the way as to which modules you need.

If you are starting out with fewer modules it is worth thinking about modules that will help you integrate the system with your existing gear. Before I built my midi-cv converter, I used to generate a click track on my pc, then use a preamp and gate extractor to generate timing pulses for my modular. Here's an old video of this with the kick being software and the rest being driven from an analog sequencer..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVxFNUj2 ... re=channel I love 1/4" modulars because they integrate with your other gear so well if you have a patchbay.

My favourite module at the moment is the CGS digital noise module which can do the coolest 1v/oct pitched 8-bit style noise when clocked from a VCO.
big respect for building your own modular bro. i just dont have the patience.
it took me ages to decide on 1/4" or 3.5mm, because i love my voyager and those big knobs which give you so much control, but unfortunately alot of the 5U stuff comes from the US, and is usually more expensive, its a real pain importing stuff from US because it gets held up at customs, and you have to pay duty on it,
the eurorack stuff on the other hand is cheaper, more easily bought in the UK, and now there are many Buchla inspired eurorack modules made by other small manufacturers like Make Noise, and thats the only way i'm ever going to afford anything Buchlaresque.
I also like the old school analogue stuff from Analogue Systems, and you can go down to their store and try things out and get good advice.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

buchla is a legend. totally different system than all the others, with vactrols and all that jazz + it sounds also quite different. If I only had the money... :(
I've read that nowadays the Cynthia is this "something else" in modular world.

I think my first modular project is going to be something from the musicfromouterspace page... Have to build some smaller projects first, then we'll see. Already made the WSG and it's sounding great :D

Anyway nice going Steevio! And please keep us up to date with your voyage :)

edit: this is a nice trip of building a modular - http://www.dragonflyalley.com/billAndWillMOTMSynth.htm
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Edward_Molton
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Edward_Molton »

Would it be possible to post some pics of your systems?