modular synthesis

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Rookas wrote:see you tomorrow!
im thinking of going modular but a very cheap one something with few vcos , sequencer , vcf and lfo just for a start to learn a bit? should i think of something more? like i know you said that you need money and alot of them , but when youre limited to some budget and just to kick off things
seriously, apart from answering a few queries i'm off bruv.

the problem with the small set-up is you usually end up being light on the the simple modules which increase the potential massively, because you've spent your money on the VCOs etc.
things like offset generators, sequential switches, switched multiples, clock dividers etc. these things are quite cheap, but it adds up quite quickly.
i dont think the potential is apparent with a small simple set-up, you probably wont know what to get next, but its better to make a start than not at all.
the doepfer stuff is quite cheap, and its good quality. makesure you get a dual quantizer !!!

its totally addictive. i wake up in the middle of the night with new patch ideas in my head and then get pissed offf when i cant do it because i need a slew limiter or something, its deffo best to have at least 6U (two rows) to start with. thats what i started with, and i could see the way forward with that set-up.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

this is a good starting point

http://www.mfberlin.de/Produkte/Musikel ... nth3e.html

i'm sure some of us will be interested in what your letting go.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i'm selling most of my software and slowly getting into it too. basically i'm only keeping stuff which can talk easily with voltages, and process them in it's own digital way. max/msp and reaktor and a few small things and then some modules doing voltage stuff.

i'm kinda excited too. i've thinking modular for a while, but entirely software based modular, which is fiddly and slow, (but very rewarding).
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

btw thanks for posting, steevio.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

thanks steevio. once you get busy you won't be coming back here! :D

Good luck on free rotatioN!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

mfb stuff is nice , i thought about that, but its limited you know, modular system is never limited :) first of all im gonna go for doepfer dark energy and then buy the modulars
its all about the rhythm
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Wow dude, thank you for that detailed reply. I've been seriously considering modular, but thought you needed a full case to get anything cool.
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boomstick »

i saw a full doepfer modular system on the eBay for like 600 USD... then it went up to 1000 USD :(
beam me up