That damn hiss and static

- ask away
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

That damn hiss and static

Post by miniKAT »

This is an old problem that I'm sure a lot of peeps have battled. I'm battling it right now. Would really appreciate some advice.

I get a relatively loud hiss in my speakers at louder volumes. Also faint static when turning up channels 2 and 3. Static is more prominent when mix volume is turned up (obv). Its also more prominent in the headphones. It cam also sometimes be heard duringa quieter part of a track thats playing, when there's less sounds or no bass.

Has anyone encountered this? Does grounding help this, if so what should I ground to, or how?

Thanx
Last edited by miniKAT on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

please detail your entire signal path, otherwise, we're just guessing (could be many different causes).
i.e., what speakers, mixer(s), sources, soundcard/interface, cables, etc, you're using....and how they are all hooked up, and in what order.
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

prussell wrote:please detail your entire signal path, otherwise, we're just guessing (could be many different causes).
i.e., what speakers, mixer(s), sources, soundcard/interface, cables, etc, you're using....and how they are all hooked up, and in what order.
Ok, sorry, wanted to see if anyone was gonna lend a hand before getting into all that.

I have 2 decks(no ground wires) going into Xone 4d using XLR to go to KRK monitors and a hi-quality (gold-tips) USB cable going to the comp and digital out to a reciever. Also a Kontrol49 and APC40 going to the comp, but doubt that has anything to do with it.

Like I said the hiss and static is much more prominent on channel 2 and 3 and when the mixer is set to soundcard, same when set to phono.

Any Ideas?
Pettro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Pettro »

Any grounded cable can make the noise. Mine was the one from the laptop.
I get rid of it and it fix it.
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

Pettro wrote:Any grounded cable can make the noise. Mine was the one from the laptop.
I get rid of it and it fix it.
Well, right now nothing is grounded, I mean I dont even know what to ground. The xone has a ground plug or rather a metal screw, but what do I ground to it? The decks dont have ground cables.

or are u saying I shouldnt ground anything?
Pettro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Pettro »

I'm talking about the third middle pin that sometimes comes with power cables. The longer one...I got rid of that one to fix my hiss.
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

Pettro wrote:I'm talking about the third middle pin that sometimes comes with power cables. The longer one...I got rid of that one to fix my hiss.
Yea I heard about that, hmm. I use a desktop at home and I mean theres a lot of power cords in the whole set-up, I dont think I'm gonna start yanking out the ground pin on all of them.

Any other ideas?
ekwipt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ekwipt »

Have you tried unplugging your laptop power supple and run it straight from the battery? Most laptops have poorly grounded supllies.

I live in Australia so you cut simply cut the third pin from the supple otherwise your set for a big bang, fuzzy hair and smoke poaring out of your ears.

I bought one of these and fixed it fixed my problem. My setup: PC laptop, NI Audio 8 soundcard USB, running audio into a AH Xone 92, out into a stereo amp and into stereo speakers.

There's still a little bit of hiss, but it minimally caused by the laptop rather than the build up of all the electrical components, running digital to anaolg to digital multiple times.

http://www.belkin.com/au/IWCatProductPa ... _Id=418487

http://www.belkin.com/images/product/F5 ... L014au.jpg