Polyrhythms..

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Polyrhythms..

Post by steevio »

sologroove wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:Anyone fully understand and use these?

Can you recommend me a website that talks about these? Been looking into it, but i am really getting very confused.
this is my way ..
i set my beat to 6/4 or 6/8 -not 4/4 or 4/8-
then i set the instrument which should sound polyrhytmic to each 4 beat -12/8 or 8 beat -6/8- in pattern..thats it ..yeah.but i'm in fl studio...

this is an example of using polyrhythms in 4/4 beat or 4/8

but these doesn't sound so continuously like in 6/8 or 6/4 beat..see the red marks...

this works great for even numbered timesignatures in a sequencer, but i find the most interesting polyrhythms are the odd numbered ones, then it gets more complicated. 3/4, 5/4, 7/8, 9/8 thats where the magic is.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

So are you changing the time signature of the whole track or just on the sampler/drum machine?
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

is it the same as creating loops that last for 3 bars in a 4/4 song?
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

BLM: the time signature of the overall track can be anything.

this might be a terrible explaination but its like taking a 100bpm record and making it mix with a 130bpm record, but not changing the pitch. so the two rythyms are playing independently of each other (ie one is faster) but that they work together.

that is different than say a polymeter, which is mixing for example a 5/4 time sig with say a 7/8.

To Opuswerk. i think what your describing is a polymeter, though i could be wrong. ie the 3 bar look, could be 3/4 with a 4/4 meter.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

delete, im dumb
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Here is my example of how a polyrhythm can be worked into 44

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I used to use fruity loops back in the day. I it has a lot of neat functions and I like how wide the programming interface is. No flipping through 16 step chunks or anything. I miss those adjustable pitches on the delays.

A little thing that I like to do when working with polyrhythms is set up my "base" rhythm and then alter the overall time signature of the track and run another drum machine over the first one.

Then I flip it back to the first time signature and work in that one. I find this helps develop the structure of the track.

If you follow the little diagram that was referenced in that wikipedia article earlier in this thread is shows a polyrhythm made with 2 instruments. I like to try and do a simple polyrhythm with each drum machine.

Here is a little render of the beginning of a track I started a little while a go. It has a 4x4 to its base and two other drum machines overlayed on it. The rhythm cycles through after 12 bars I believe but even when that happens the point of intersecting does not happen at the usual 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 type situation that normally happens with a 4x4 track.

Anyways, here is my example of how a polyrhythm can be worked into a 4x4 beat without making it to conflicting to a general groove.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/14/ ... dit%29.mp3

Be careful with polyrhythms! They are so much fun to play with that you may never get your track done.
Kilevox
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kilevox »

I will never check that... :cry:
www.myspace.com/benryser
www.benryser.com

.... minimal is not a hype ....
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

i still vote its all about the feel..

anywho, how hard is it to count six over eight. or 12/8 i mean those are some of the most natural human rhythms, have been for thousands of years

as for cutting a 4/4 loop at the 3 mark, thats not technically a 3/4 rhythm.