AMD vs. Pentium

- ask away
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

AbstraKt wrote:I too am thinking of putting a system together my current computer is outdated. I was thinking of the AMD 64 3500(at least) 1Gig RAM and that is as far as my knowledge in putting a computer parts together :lol:

I was leaning towards a Mac cause I don't have to pick out any core specific parts as they are used for multi-media but those PRICES :shock: Is putting something together with specs that are geared towards music production going to be the same price? If so should I just lean towards a Mac and get a good sound card. I've been so stressed trying to choose between cost and practicality. I don't know how to pic parts for a computer PLEASE HELP!

I know I want a desktop. No one here has to divulge any secrets to their set-up just a good base to build on. Something that won't get outdated in the near future. My production will more likely be software based first then get hardware as I progress and begin to understand what I need. Lastly sound cards any suggestions or helpful knowledge?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I know there are a lot producers in here. If I decide on a Mac what am I going to need? I will be using Ableton Live and as far as other software what other are the other essentials?

A common misconception about macs are that they are expensive. The truth of the matter is that PC's seem cheap because a wider range of systems exist, from really cheap and not so powerful ones to the top-of-the-line dream machine. Mac's don't have anything short of middle of the road and up.. the cheapest mac's are more expensive than the cheapest PC's because they don't have a really low-end model available.

Aside from this, they are slightly pricier but I think the above explains most of it.

If you get a mac, you won't really need much else depending on what you're getting. To run ableton live, you shouldn't need much. I myself have a 1ghz G4 imac. 700-some-odd mb of ram. Mac's typically have all the items you'd need to jump in to it all. Depending on how indepth you go, you may or may not want to look at different audio devices for output and input. PC's are much more readily available though and are cheaper but if you have the cash to go better quality and have to choose between pc and a mac, your safer with a mac.

The biggest problems with PC's are the operating systems. Unless there's some unix version of Live that I don't know about, you'll be running on a windows machine and that is a big problem. XP especially is TERRIBLY unstable. I know of at least 3 people who were using XP based machines for music and the operating system just randomly corrupted and would no longer boot. Reformatting was the only solution for a couple of them. Imagine that happening right before a show!
fader
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fader »

^^^ not really true,
the low end mac exists now and is called mini mac and will cost you somewhere around 500$. you need to attach a (pc) screen and keyboard yourself.
the eMac (not iMac) is very cheap too and it comes with screen and keyboard..
don't expect the same as from a dual G5 but it will give you a good idea of the beauty of the OS: )

it is true what you say about putting another "good" soundcard.. Everything on a mac is already good, you can make it better, but it's not like on a regular pc where you would get thé most shitty card if you didn't specifically put another one in. they have a publicity called "every mac makes music" ...
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

one more time, I mostly agree with the above for what's said one the windows side; but one more time, you can make XP being very stable if you want: NEVER put your pc online, and optimize XP with everything you can find here: http://www.musicxp.net/

and you'll be fine........ :wink:

for running Live on windows, there's another good trick that jp (pheek) showed me: you can setup Live to be your "custom user interface"; this way, you'll have Live and ONLY Live running on your pc while performing, which is a must and another garanty for stability.....
daemon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by daemon »

i work with a laptop pentium M, which works great and its better for your batterylife. if you should go for a pentium M you should make sure you get one with 2 mb cache
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

f3d4r wrote:^^^ not really true,
the low end mac exists now and is called mini mac and will cost you somewhere around 500$. you need to attach a (pc) screen and keyboard yourself.
the eMac (not iMac) is very cheap too and it comes with screen and keyboard..
don't expect the same as from a dual G5 but it will give you a good idea of the beauty of the OS: )

it is true what you say about putting another "good" soundcard.. Everything on a mac is already good, you can make it better, but it's not like on a regular pc where you would get thé most shitty card if you didn't specifically put another one in. they have a publicity called "every mac makes music" ...
mini mac is still much better than the lowest end pc's ;)

I know of a couple people getting them in the next couple weeks actually.
AbstraKt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by AbstraKt »

A big thanks to everyone :!: It's good to hear from both sides. I think if I were to build one with a dual processor with all the parts I would like to put in. It would cost roughly the same price as a lower end Mac. I know that Mac has set the next standard for PCI slots. Would that be a problem for a PC right now? Also would installing a sound card into the firewire be better instead of the PCI slot? This relates to building a PC because a Mac has it ready. Would putting a Mac online along with Live be a problem?
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
- Plato -

"Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things. "
-Denis Diderot-
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

AbstraKt wrote:I think if I were to build one with a dual processor with all the parts I would like to put in. It would cost roughly the same price as a lower end Mac.
yep, that's probably about right... in price: hi-end pc that your build youself = lower end mac

but of course, building your computer has its own risks... on the other hand, if you do enough reading online, ask questions on forums etc., it's pretty easy! (I didn't know anything about building a computer before doing it for myself); another great ressource (very geeky though) is http://forums.2cpu.com/ ; there's a few threads specifically about music-dedicated computers overthere, if I remember right...
AbstraKt wrote:I know that Mac has set the next standard for PCI slots. Would that be a problem for a PC right now? Also would installing a sound card into the firewire be better instead of the PCI slot?
I would actually say the contrary (pci > fw), but the difference is probably minor; fw has the advantage that you'll be able to use it both with a laptop and a desktop...
AbstraKt wrote:Would putting a Mac online along with Live be a problem?
you'll be pretty safe here with a mac, since there's no virus/spyware/adware and other of this kinda crap for macs......
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

Mac has set the next standard for PCI slots
what exactly do you mean? if it is true i don't think it matters as audio cards are made for older standard pci slots. and yes i agree with cyhl pci has been around forever and the drivers written for pci cards are more stable than fw and usb cards. also fw/usb audio cards cost more and also take up the much needed fw/usb slots.