Live on Live :-D

- ask away
Raphael
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Live on Live :-D

Post by Raphael »

Hey guys.

I started to produce last year and the next step is a Live PA. But I have so many doubts. Please the most experienced guys, help me.

I use Ableton Live to make my tracks so the questions are:

1 - Do I have to load every midi and audio channels of all my tracks in one Live Set? Or can I load them during the presentation?

2 - How do I control the play/stop loops and every button of Live? With the keyboards only? Can I start/stop with an external controller? Which are the avaiable options? Using Live on a Powerbook and I want to buy an external controller. But I don´t have much money...so I need a cheap solution.

Well, this are my questions for now! Hope to learn a little..

Thanks in advance,

raphael
brazil
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

The best (and most fun approach) is to break tracks down into sections and loops... IE - have several loops that are all just variations of the beats, seperate loops for the hooks and stuff.

load them all up like this and don't be afraid to do new things with it... half the fun and thrill is presenting your material in different ways each time, or looping something from a track that your fans know in a new way, totally taking them by surprise... just have fun and remember that (especially when starting out) just getting into it and entertaining your fans is more important than presenting your tracks with full integrity..
Raphael
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Raphael »

Thanks for your reply Adam.

As I use Live for the single tracks, they are already breaked in loops/sections.

Now the external control part:

I saw the Alen&Heath Xone made specially for Ableton Live...How does it work? Does it controls everything in Live without use the mouse/ keyboard. Or I have to use it anyway?

Which are another options to control the Live Pa?

Thanks again
Militikie
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Militikie »

Raphael wrote: I saw the Alen&Heath Xone made specially for Ableton Live...How does it work? Does it controls everything in Live without use the mouse/ keyboard. Or I have to use it anyway?
the xone has a intergrated midi control...very sweet, but a usb-midi controller will do

check for example:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/UC33e-main.html
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

In my opinion, the best thing to do would be to just use your computer keyboard and set up remote triggers for the samples in rows if you feel you need it. If you use alot of effects and require tactile control of parameters, just find a nice midi knob box...

If you're just starting out, try doing a show or two without buying expensive midi gear first, you'll then have a better understanding of what you'll need.

As per the Xone:92, very nice machine and i'd love to have one myself, it may be a solution... however, it didn't seem to have enough knobs and things for anything i'd want to do... I'd advise the above, with a smaller mixer.... most consoles are cheaper than DJ mixers, although DJ mixers are nice because they typically can take a bit more abuse... me and my partner use a Xone:32, 3 channels, one for him, one for myself and the middle one for our outboard fx gear.
Raphael
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Raphael »

Thanks everybody!

Yes adam, I will make some tests just using the keyboard and see what happens!

The UC2-33e seems to be nice too!

Thanks guys, but if anybody have more to say, more people can learn with this topic.
rkampschoer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by rkampschoer »

I saw the Alen&Heath Xone made specially for Ableton Live...How does it work? Does it controls everything in Live without use the mouse/ keyboard. Or I have to use it anyway?
Hi there,

You can indeed use a Xone 92 in combination with Ableton (allthough I admit that it's an expensive solution).

I use the combination of a Xone 92, a laptop running Live, and a M-Audio firewire soundcard.
I connect all 4 stereo outputs to the Xone's 4 main stereo inputs, and use the filters and EQ from the mixer.
I also use several MIDI features, like the start/stop button, the MIDI clock/change tempo, and the crossfader...

I use the other inputs from the mixer to hook up other hardware.

:)
www.robinkampschoer.com
sometimes, less is more...
Raphael
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Raphael »

Yeah, Xone 92 is very expensive!

The UC2-33e with and M-Audio firewire card seems to be the best option for me now!

Thanks for your reply mate!

Does anybody here have your Live Pa recorded?

!